• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

If you believe in God, why?

Replicate

User is banned.
I believe religion was created to keep people from revolting and being afraid of the unknown. Without god, many people wouldn't know what to do because some people just can't accept not knowing.

Cann!bal

Power member.
i sip lean420 said:
are you telling me that you have real sadness for the lives that are taken? you would actually care if some girl that you didn't know was murdered by her boyfriend? or do you just tell yourself that you care because it makes you feel like a better person? i guess it's possible that someone could truly care, but your average human is very selfish. a lot of people want to pretend like they care about others but most would put themselves before someone they don't know. you don't just choose to have feelings for other people, you have to actually feel them. 

i didn't address your retarded arguments because they aren't relevant to my point. you asked why i think i'm better than some muslim or jew, i'm not even a fucking christian. you actually have the balls to say that someone is delusional for believing in a higher power, you aren't as smart as you think you are. what the fuck, isn't saying that you've never met an atheist who believes it's impossible that a God exists the same as saying you've never met an atheist who doesn't believe in the possibility of a God? if they don't believe in the possibility, then they believe it's impossible, right? i wasn't trying to start some argument about which religion is right, my only point was that there is nothing wrong with believing in some sort of higher power because we were made somehow and i find it kind of hard to believe that the complexity of life was created from some giant explosion.
I do care and my sorrow is real. I'm not mourning for each individual animal or person that dies or some shit. I care in the way that I will never stand down for somebody's animal or human rights and that each of them is significant to me in that capacity.

They were rebuttals to your statements. How's that not relevant?

I didn't ask why you are more better than a Muslim or Jew. I asked you what makes your beliefs more right than some Muslim or Jew's. And yeah, you're right. I misunderstood being an atheist that doesn't believe in the possibility of god for being an atheist that believes in the possibility of god for some reason. There is something wrong with believing there is a god because there's absolutely no evidence. It's the equivalent of calling someone guilty of murder and sentencing them without evidence. That's why any reasonable person would wait for evidence of who killed little Tommy instead of jumping to the conclusion creepy Mr. Johnson did it. There's no reason to believe Mr. Johnson did other than it seems like it to you. That's what claiming god is real is like. There's no evidence, so don't jump to conclusions. That's what atheism is.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argument_from_incredulity

Color said:
You don't have any evidence they're wrong either.  You bring up the same argument every time.  Why is it you're always looking to force your beliefs upon others?  Your actions seem to put you in the same boat as what you're opposing, perhaps your beliefs are just as shortsighted and delusional?
I swear dumbasses will upvote anything long as a mod says it.

The burden of proof isn't upon me and I never claimed they are wrong. I'm claiming there's no evidence to support they are right. Hmm, perhaps because it's a solid argument? How am I forcing anything? Every step on this conversation I've had has been consensual. This is the Philosophy and Debates section if you haven't noticed, you're suppose to share ideas. I'm not in the same boat. Burden of proof isn't on me. I never claimed there was a magical man in the sky who determines everyone move we make and where we go once we die. Wrong person, bud.

It feels like you reply to everything I say on this forum. You probably worship me or something.

Joker

Cann!bal said:
I don't think I have ever met or seen an atheist who will tell you a god is 100% impossible and I've been part of the atheist community for years now. This is a total misrepresentation of atheists. Truthfully, I've seen many claiming it is as wrong as someone who claims there is a god.

"To assume this, is to assume your god is dumb enough to fall for your stupid-ass insurance plan. It also assumes your particular god and sect to be real and discards all other possible god and sect combinations despite the equivalent amount of evidence between them all.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Pascal's_wager"

I think everyone is pretty desensitized to the concept of hell by now, but I think you ought to recognize what you just said. You just laughed at the thought of all atheists burning in hell for eternity while you're in heaven. That's demented and disgusting shit.
I'll agree with this. I'm personally atheist but I'm not saying a 'God' isn't possible, I'm not talking about a crucified man with thorns in his head that battled all odds.. I'm talking some form of god, Maybe something in space that controls all of us as beings and when we pass who knows.. Life itself is already miraculous and beautiful, maybe there will be something more that even scientists can't prove.

I find it hilarious when a christian says how they're going to ''live in luxury'' whilst we ''burn in hell'' how delusional can they be.. It's also disgusting, I briefly remember being told the bible contains there 'god' forgiving everyone so if somehow he was ridiculously real why wouldn't we be forgiving, why wouldn't he want to prove us wrong? 

But still, I believe in something.. maybe something out there far away that controls how the earth is handled and makes sure we're all safe, maybe we're on here for pure luck.. but I do not go by religion in one bit. As said by someone earlier, It was created for the hopeless to have some form of hope in this world. 

You have very good points, keep on winning the argument brother.

Color said:
You don't have any evidence they're wrong either.  You bring up the same argument every time.  Why is it you're always looking to force your beliefs upon others?  Your actions seem to put you in the same boat as what you're opposing, perhaps your beliefs are just as shortsighted and delusional?

No one really has any evidence, we don't have evidence that they're wrong for believing in god but the point of being an atheist is not believing because of LACK OF EVIDENCE. 

There is more evidence to state a man in the sky doesn't exist. It's not forcing his beliefs, it's educating the brainwashed. 

The difference is.. we don't have beliefs, we're not against the possibility of there being something but it is very very delusional to follow something like the bible.

i sip lean420

User is banned.
Cann!bal said:
I do care and my sorrow is real. I'm not mourning for each individual animal or person that dies or some shit. I care in the way that I will never stand down for somebody's animal or human rights and that each of them is significant to me in that capacity.

I didn't ask why you are more better than a Muslim or Jew. I asked you what makes your beliefs more right than some Muslim or Jew's. And yeah, you're right. I misunderstood being an atheist that doesn't believe in the possibility of god for being an atheist that believes in the possibility of god for some reason. There is something wrong with believing there is a god because there's absolutely no evidence. It's the equivalent of calling someone guilty of murder and sentencing them without evidence. That's why any reasonable person would wait for evidence of who killed little Tommy instead of jumping to the conclusion creepy Mr. Johnson did it. There's no reason to believe Mr. Johnson did other than it seems like it to you. That's what claiming god is real is like. There's no evidence, so don't jump to conclusions. That's what atheism is.

I said that it is not delusional to believe in God and you replied by asking me what makes me better than a Muslim or Jew. I never said shit about any religion being better than the other. Notice how some of my arguments include believing in "a God". That means I'm talking about any religion that believes in a higher power. Your only argument to my statement was that people are delusional for believing in God because there's no evidence, but that's completely false I'm sorry to break it to you. I really don't see how we could have been created by chance. Believing in a higher power is not delusional at all and if you think it is then I clearly can't change your opinion so have fun pretending to know the answers to everything.

"How come evidence is the standard for truth everywhere else but not here? Isn't that incredibly convenient?" Sorry if this is what you were talking about that I wouldn't reply to, it is somewhat relevant, but that is a very ignorant question to ask because you should know that it isn't possible to gather evidence on a God or else we would have it by now. If there is a God, he made sure that no human could ever confirm that he exists. Not everything has to have scientific evidence to possibly exist. If you believe that the Universe was created from some giant explosion and life came after, I just don't understand why. How can the complexity of the systems that work inside of our bodies be created randomly? I just don't get it.

Color

Cann!bal said:

I swear dumbasses will upvote anything long as a mod says it.

The burden of proof isn't upon me and I never claimed they are wrong. I'm claiming there's no evidence to support they are right. Hmm, perhaps because it's a solid argument? How am I forcing anything? Every step on this conversation I've had has been consensual. This is the Philosophy and Debates section if you haven't noticed, you're suppose to share ideas. I'm not in the same boat. Burden of proof isn't on me. I never claimed there was a magical man in the sky who determines everyone move we make and where we go once we die. Wrong person, bud.

It feels like you reply to everything I say on this forum. You probably worship me or something.

I swear, you talk out of your ass a lot for someone who seems to consider themself such an elitist?  It feels like you post on every thread in this forum.  You probably worship it or something.  Makes sense, right?  
I'm posting my ideas, where's the problem with that?  You seem to be offended when there's someone who opposes your views.  Get over yourself, silly.

Yuuki

Color said:
I swear, you talk out of your ass a lot for someone who seems to consider themself such an elitist?  It feels like you post on every thread in this forum.  You probably worship it or something.  Makes sense, right?  
I'm posting my ideas, where's the problem with that?  You seem to be offended when there's someone who opposes your views.  Get over yourself, silly.

Some people can't accept the fact that not everyone agrees with them.

Extinguished

Good day to everyone, this is the type of discussion that should be more openly discussed rather than propaganda being televised. As Mal has previous stated, we should think beyond one's vision towards who created god ( if you're a believer ). I completely understand all reasons for you not to believe in God, which is fine with me since I'm not one to judge another person. It is honestly tragic that we are labeled to a specific religion by our parents during our childhood years. Seems like we were pushed to believe and join that certain religion by our parents during our childhood years. But, growing up we are at freewill to decided what we want to believe in from all various types. In my random thoughts, I believe that the government ( whomever they may be ) created religion as an exploit for Control & Chaos of the masses, base of manipulation. Nevertheless, there is a power beyond our knowledge that only certain ones can affiliate themselves with ( join ). But, this certain group isn't bad as everyone says, when there is good, there will be bad. The Universe is unexplored and stretches beyond our high end telescopes and sight, feel the energy waiting for you.

I wanted to elaborate more but, rambling on doesn't have an ending.

Have a good day everyone and have a great weekend.

x_Extinguished

Julian

Power member.
I don't understand how someone could believe in something by a book (Bible). Anyone could have written this book. Are we supposed to just take someones word and believe that
all of this information is true? I don't mean to offend anyone but, i was raised and basically forced to believe in God or Jesus. I know somewhere in this book there is something stating not to force
religion on people. When i have kids of my own i'm definitely letting them choose what they want to believe in. As of right now i wouldn't call myself an atheist or a believer, i do want to believe in this God, but i need him to show me that he is what everyone says he is. I cannot take someones word and be expected to believe in it.

Cuban

Onyx user!
I believe in God. But honestly, I don't know the real deal. None of us do. Yes we can have all the knowledge in the world, but we'll never know what happens beyond death. You can read all the religious books and research all that fancy scientific stuff, but you'll never know the answer to what happens after death. But what I do know is that I'm alive. I'm in a body. I exist somewhere. So I'm gonna enjoy this life I'm living and so should you guys. It's nice knowing that I have a little companion by my side whether he exists or not. Just believing that there's a chance that he does exist makes this cruel world a tiny bit better.

Extinguished

Julian said:
I don't understand how someone could believe in something by a book (Bible). Anyone could have written this book. Are we supposed to just take someones word and believe that
all of this information is true? I don't mean to offend anyone but, i was raised and basically forced to believe in God or Jesus. I know somewhere in this book there is something stating not to force
religion on people. When i have kids of my own i'm definitely letting them choose what they want to believe in. As of right now i wouldn't call myself an atheist or a believer, i do want to believe in this God, but i need him to show me that he is what everyone says he is. I cannot take someones word and be expected to believe in it.
Yes, scriptures hold great powers to them if read and understood correctly. For example, back in February I ran into turmoil financially and needed a quick assistance. I read a specific scripture in Psalms , and my attention was answered with more than what I've asked for, which was a blessing. Even though they were written by modern men in the past, they hold knowledge and the bible should be used as an instrument delicately played, a harp perhaps. Some may call it a coincidence, but it's a blessing in disguise to those that knows how to use it. Religion isn't for everyone, which to heart I can accept and in no shape, form, or fashion try to show them unless dedicated to be taught. Religion only divides humanity and cause hatred during our darkest hours,  which they know and keep relevant the best way imaginable to our eyes and mind.

I may not be a monastics, but I have my sandals on right now. =)

Scale

I honestly don't believe in God, if there truly was a "God" everyones religion wouldnt be different from each other and wouldnt allow the extremists do what their currently doing. If there was a God why can't we see him/her. I think it was just a hoax so that people wouldn't be asking why we are here, and wouldn't question their existance