• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Help me build a gaming computer?

Envy

Grizzled
Eevee said:
@Seven, by all means go for this build.
 But only if you want to shoot yourself in the foot. Refer to this post of mine:

But there's an actual BANDWIDTH issue. Not just memory issue. Ultimately due to the design of the crossbars and the memory controllers, it is not possible for 1 crossbar port to carry the full load of 2 memory channels in all circumstances. The crossbar port and its attached ROP/L2 unit can access both memory channels at once, splitting up the 4 operations among them, but there is only 1 read return bus and 1 write data bas, and hence in practice it cannot issue identical operations to both memory channels at once . As a result NVIDIA has segmented the GTX 970’s memory into the now-familiar 3.5GB and 512MB segments. In the case of the 3.5GB segment, this behaves otherwise identically to a fully enabled card such as the GTX 980, with the 1KB stride being striped over 7 crossbar ports, and hence 7 DRAM modules. Meanwhile the 8th and final DRAM module sits in its own 512MB segment, and must be addressed by the crossbar on its own.
This in turn is why the 224GB/sec memory bandwidth number for the GTX 970 is technically correct and yet still not entirely useful as we move past the memory controllers, as it is not possible to actually get that much bandwidth at once when doing a pure read or a pure write. In the case of pure reads for example, GTX 970 can read the 3.5GB segment at 196GB/sec (7GHz * 7 ports * 32-bits), or it can read the 512MB segment at 28GB/sec, but it cannot read from both at once; it is a true XOR situation. The same is also true for writes, as only one segment can be written to at a time." (quoting Aesthetics from HF as he's very knowledgeable)
and seeing as nearly all AAA games uses above 3.5GB and future proofing is not existent on this card. Sure its not problem when you crank AA all way down to bare minimum, but who buys $400 card to do bare minimum, especially when cards can do more than just that for the same price.

Basically. RIP 970. 290X is the better card for now and for future proofing (for the price point)

I'd strongly advise you to keep the build that you last came up with. It's brilliant.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
GPU Benchmarks show the 970 as the victor. You do realize that these benchmarks are based off of performance in straineous tests, right? http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_test_info.html
Your information is just false, in every aspect.

Particles

Power member.

Envy

Grizzled
Eevee said:
How is it false when the facts have been dug out by respectable sites like pcper and hexus (and so on)

also there was a lawsuit against them back in February

If there was a lawsuit, then they would have fixed their product... At least according to the law they do.

Particles

Power member.
Envy said:
If there was a lawsuit, then they would have fixed their product... At least according to the law they do.
http://gyazo.com/6f78ab9a8777e7ffa562312a454d1551 1 cross bar. the remaining 0.5GB that is only used WHEN NEEDED has to kinda share its info with the ram module next to it as you can see in the diagram.
Yes and no. Lawsuits don't get things sorted that fast against such a big company. Also, it'd mean recalling every single GTX 970 on the planet and completely rebuilding the PCB so all 4GB is used at once, not just 3.5GB of it. Which they won't do. There's been reports that if they lose the lawsuit case then they're going to refund each customer the cost of their GTX 970

Envy

Grizzled
Eevee said:
http://gyazo.com/6f78ab9a8777e7ffa562312a454d1551 1 cross bar. the remaining 0.5GB that is only used WHEN NEEDED has to kinda share its info with the ram module next to it as you can see in the diagram.

Yes and no. Lawsuits don't get things sorted that fast against such a big company. Also, it'd mean recalling every single GTX 970 on the planet and completely rebuilding the PCB so all 4GB is used at once, not just 3.5GB of it. Which they won't do. There's been reports that if they lose the lawsuit case then they're refund each customer the cost of their GTX 970
Okay, fine, you're right, there is a memory problem. But that also doesn't rebute the fact that the 970 does outperform the 290x in benchmarks. If you don't like the 970, then go with the 780 or 780i. I believe the 780i is one of the best gpu's for it's price, but I wasn't trying to add a $100. The 780 should still outperform the 290x. But I guess at that level, it really doesn't matter.

Particles

Power member.
Envy said:
Okay, fine, you're right, there is a memory problem. But that also doesn't rebute the fact that the 970 does outperform the 290x in benchmarks. If you don't like the 970, then go with the 780 or 780i. I believe the 780i is one of the best gpu's for it's price, but I wasn't trying to add a $100. The 780 should still outperform the 290x. But I guess at that level, it really doesn't matter.

Sorry if i seemed rude or anything, it wasn't my intention. I love the GTX 970 and actually have had it on my pcpartpicker list for my build since it came out. But once the memory issue came to surface.. instantly switched it for a 290x. They perform similarly in games, the 970 has the edge in some games, the 290x the edge in other games. But in terms of future games especially with anti aliasing. The 290x is the stronger card this time. Just a bit more future proofness in that respect. The 970 is going to choke when newer games come out that demand high memory already due to textures, and then demand more than the 970 can offer bandwidth wise, and as soon as it hits that point, framerates will collapse.

I just don't see the point in buying a GPU for that price if you have to have AA low or off at 1080p.. It's madness

Particles

Power member.
Envy said:
@Seven
Here, I fixed it up for you. There shouldn't be anything wrong with this. I've done extensive research in all of these components. I still think the i7 is a lot better of a decision than the i5.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b9MXGX
Better. The Noctua cooler is a bit OP for a non-K CPU though, COULD save money on that. and the Sapphire Tri-X is the better card for similar price :)

Envy

Grizzled
Eevee said:
Better. The Noctua cooler is a bit OP for a non-K CPU though, COULD save money on that. and the Sapphire Tri-X is the better card for similar price :)
I updated the cpu cooler. I was thinking about the Tri-X or double dissipation, but I don't want the gpu to overheat, so I went with the cooler one.

Particles

Power member.
Envy said:
I updated the cpu cooler. I was thinking about the Tri-X or double dissipation, but I don't want the gpu to overheat, so I went with the cooler one.

It won't overheat? The 290x only throttles above 90c. Tri-X keeps it under 80c at full load and pretty quiet.

Envy

Grizzled
Seven said:
Should I get that Envy over this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kLqNFT
You should use my list. I used better parts. The i7 will be useful in the future and it's also a lot more powerful than the i5. You can also decide whether you want the double disspation, tri-x, or power cooler 290X as they are all the same in my book.

Particles

Power member.
Seven said:
Should I get that Envy over this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kLqNFT
Yes and no. He's chosen a non-K i7 (cant be overclocked) with a Z97 motherboard (overclocking board)
If you want i7's hyperthreading (for rendering/streaming) but want to save money, not overclock the CPU and have no integrated GPU (you have seperate gpu anyway). Then get a Xeon CPU such as http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646e31231v3
Then swap out for a H97 motherboard which could be cheaper too. and I'd change the GPU for the XFX Black Edition DD GPU or Asus Matrix Platinum or Sapphire's Tri-X

Only get the i7/Xeon if you want to do alot of editing in Vegas or Photoshop, or if you want to stream your gaming.
Games don't and probably won't (once DX12 comes out) utilise hyperthreading.

Envy

Grizzled
Eevee said:
Yes and no. He's chosen a non-K i7 (cant be overclocked) with a Z97 motherboard (overclocking board)
If you want i7's hyperthreading (for rendering/streaming) but want to save money, not overclock the CPU and have no integrated GPU (you have seperate gpu anyway). Then get a Xeon CPU such as http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646e31231v3
Then swap out for a H97 motherboard which could be cheaper too. and I'd change the GPU for the XFX Black Edition DD GPU or Asus Matrix Platinum or Sapphire's Tri-X

Only get the i7/Xeon if you want to do alot of editing in Vegas or Photoshop, or if you want to stream your gaming.
Games don't and probably won't (once DX12 comes out) utilise hyperthreading.

The hero isn't an "overclocking board". It's a motherboard that can be overclocked. He could get a overclocking cpu. I chose the cheaper one. The i7 4770 is better for gaming than the xeon.

Particles

Power member.
Envy said:
The hero isn't an "overclocking board". It's a motherboard that can be overclocked. He could get a overclocking cpu. I chose the cheaper one. The i7 4770 is better for gaming than the xeon.

I mean it's Z97 chipset so it's capable of overclocking :)

Also the Xeon is roughly the same performance-wise even in gaming, (depends on the model of Xeon CPU doe) and much much cheaper. i5 overclocked would slightly out perform it for a bit more $$

Daimi

User is banned.
Seven said:
@envy
@eevee
I would like to agree on ONE build, too many decisions! :(
Trying to get the best out of my money between $800-$1200.

Go with Eevee's build, its really good.

Daimi

User is banned.
Seven said:
Which one? I have like 3,000 tabs open for them.
This one.
Can save money by going for a different cooler or an i5 (which would affect your gaming by maybe 5FPS. But will affect rendering times. or drop down to 8GB of RAM.. (16GB will help with photoshop and Vegas though)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @Amazonn)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($62.99 @Amazonn)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Tr-X OC Video Card ($301.50 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @Microo Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1291.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 11:32 EDT-0400

since its a bit over drop the i7 and put an i5 in it.

Seven

User is banned.
Kowai said:
This one.
Can save money by going for a different cooler or an i5 (which would affect your gaming by maybe 5FPS. But will affect rendering times. or drop down to 8GB of RAM.. (16GB will help with photoshop and Vegas though)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @Amazonn)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($62.99 @Amazonn)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Tr-X OC Video Card ($301.50 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @Microo Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1291.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-18 11:32 EDT-0400

since its a bit over drop the i7 and put an i5 in it.
May I have the part link for that please?