• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Why should we increase the minimum wage? - Higher paid employee's, work harder.

Chainsmoke

Onyx user!
[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/npFJENuNBQs?t=1m10s[/video]

The information I want you to listen to starts at 1m10s into the video.

There was a conversation I was involved with a little bit ago, involving minimum wage. Now I don't want to make this about voting for anyone in particular I just want to talk about the wage's.

In the Democratic debate Bernie Sanders says he's going to increase the minimum wage to 15$ an HOUR.

You might say "Wouldn't that decrease jobs?", "The value of dollar would decrease, wouldn't it?", "Tons of small business's would collapse?".

Trickle-down economics is as predictable as the laws of physics.

"High hourly wages mean nothing to a worker if he has no job," Southern States Industrial Council cautioned in 1938. I think it should be he/she, but it's a quote from 1938, so let's not go there.

Some make the argument "Extending the minimum wage to restaurants would result in immediate unemployment." The federal minimum wage jumped from 40 cents an hour in 1949 to 75 cents in 1950, an 88-percent increase over just one year. Unemployment plummeted, from 5.9 percent in 1949 to 2.9 percent in 1953. Washington raised the minimum wage for tipped workers by 85 percent between 1988 and 1990 — and over the following decade restaurant employment growth somehow managed to outpace the state as a whole.

The obvious answer is people will work harder, no one will swallow their pride for 9 dollars an hour, I sure as hell wouldn't, wouldn't give a damn how young or uneducated I am at the time. Higher paid workers, are more productive, loyal, and reliable. Don't hop on the "higher pay, causes unemployment" bandwagon.

Of course the dollar would be lessened in value, but that is what happens all the time, every day! Think of 25 years ago, how much did things cost then? It's a normal part of life, things go on. Of course our economy "system" is a little fucked up but it's the way it works for now.

Just because working as a cashier isn't meant to support a family, some people have to do it.. (Single parent, going through college, second job, something for the in-between while the company you work for swaps contracts and lays people off and or a back of up plan.)

I have reason to believe that it would make things a whole lot better! Unemployment rates might go down with just this, from the given examples of the past, could it happen again? After Walmart started the 10 dollar wage investment (public knowledge) Walmart's US stores have gone from being 17 percent "Favorable or Acceptable" in February of 2015, to 67 percent. Higher paid employee's tend to give more fucks.

Vert

im guessing you work at mcdonalds?
jk bro lol. I was having a discussion about this in my introduction to business class today.

Chainsmoke

Onyx user!
Vert said:
im guessing you work at mcdonalds?
jk bro lol. I was having a discussion about this in my introduction to business class today.

I work for a local company that renovates homes, i'm the marketing side.

Introduction to business huh? How did that come out? Care to share, i'm interested!

Vert

We were just doing this activity about how increasing minimum wage would effect other things like for example if mcdonalds increased their minimum wage they would have to increase the price of their food and less people would buy the food causing them to fire workers because they aren't selling enough food and so on..

Chainsmoke

Onyx user!
Vert said:
We were just doing this activity about how increasing minimum wage would effect other things like for example if mcdonalds increased their minimum wage they would have to increase the price of their food and less people would buy the food causing them to fire workers because they aren't selling enough food and so on..

Did you read the part where I commented on things like this? I gave past events that it happened the other way around. Unemployment went down.

Voices

Power member.
We should increase minimum wage to like 11 not 15 cuz frankly its minimum wage your not really supposed to live off it even though some people unfortunately do

Devil

minimum wage in canada is $11.25

equal to around $8.70 usd

Siesta

User is banned.
I'm from Denmark, where the minimum wage for people under 18 is $8-9/hour, and for an adult it's around $12-13 an hour.

It ruins everything, the taxes will increase, and it creates chaos.
It's plain stupid to do it, people will start working less, not harder.
In Denmark, around 50% of the population, or even more, is paid with tax money. Doctors, lawyers, everything. That means that people with an actual "real" job, have to earn enough to pay for two salaries instead of one, and then pay 50% in taxes, and even up to 60% in taxes!

Is that what you want? Is that was America "freedom" is? Freedom is called removing the minimum wage, and get what you deserve, if you suck at your work, then you don't earn a lot, because the company doesn't earn money on you, if you work hard, you get paid higher.

Joker

Chainsmoke said:
[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/npFJENuNBQs?t=1m10s[/video]

The information I want you to listen to starts at 1m10s into the video.

There was a conversation I was involved with a little bit ago, involving minimum wage. Now I don't want to make this about voting for anyone in particular I just want to talk about the wage's.

In the Democratic debate Bernie Sanders says he's going to increase the minimum wage to 15$ an HOUR.

You might say "Wouldn't that decrease jobs?", "The value of dollar would decrease, wouldn't it?", "Tons of small business's would collapse?".

Trickle-down economics is as predictable as the laws of physics.

"High hourly wages mean nothing to a worker if he has no job," Southern States Industrial Council cautioned in 1938. I think it should be he/she, but it's a quote from 1938, so let's not go there.

Some make the argument "Extending the minimum wage to restaurants would result in immediate unemployment." The federal minimum wage jumped from 40 cents an hour in 1949 to 75 cents in 1950, an 88-percent increase over just one year. Unemployment plummeted, from 5.9 percent in 1949 to 2.9 percent in 1953. Washington raised the minimum wage for tipped workers by 85 percent between 1988 and 1990 — and over the following decade restaurant employment growth somehow managed to outpace the state as a whole.

The obvious answer is people will work harder, no one will swallow their pride for 9 dollars an hour, I sure as hell wouldn't, wouldn't give a damn how young or uneducated I am at the time. Higher paid workers, are more productive, loyal, and reliable. Don't hop on the "higher pay, causes unemployment" bandwagon.

Of course the dollar would be lessened in value, but that is what happens all the time, every day! Think of 25 years ago, how much did things cost then? It's a normal part of life, things go on. Of course our economy "system" is a little fucked up but it's the way it works for now.

Just because working as a cashier isn't meant to support a family, some people have to do it.. (Single parent, going through college, second job, something for the in-between while the company you work for swaps contracts and lays people off and or a back of up plan.)

I have reason to believe that it would make things a whole lot better! Unemployment rates might go down with just this, from the given examples of the past, could it happen again? After Walmart started the 10 dollar wage investment (public knowledge) Walmart's US stores have gone from being 17 percent "Favorable or Acceptable" in February of 2015, to 67 percent. Higher paid employee's tend to give more fucks.

This ones a hard one for me, I'm generally just going by the title to state my opinion before watching any video etc.

My mother works in a shop from 5 AM until 4 PM daily, she gets minimum wage and works very.. very hard.

My neighbor who I got a computing job with for 3 months sat on his ass all day and made a very very high wage.. he now lives in spain whilst my mother remains financially stable. 

Then again i also have a friend who works for a bus company and he earns a very large pay check but grinds every day every minute.. I used to work in a retail store in minimum wage and in all honesty I done fuck all, I guess it's the same with all young staff.

Gen

User is banned.
I'm not entirely this thread understands inflation rates.

dagger

I believe if prices of food and just general things you need to have in your everyday life goes up. Then your wages need to go up so you can be able to sustain a livable lifestyle, simple as that!

Chainsmoke

Onyx user!
Joker said:
This ones a hard one for me, I'm generally just going by the title to state my opinion before watching any video etc.

My mother works in a shop from 5 AM until 4 PM daily, she gets minimum wage and works very.. very hard.

My neighbor who I got a computing job with for 3 months sat on his ass all day and made a very very high wage.. he now lives in spain whilst my mother remains financially stable. 

Then again i also have a friend who works for a bus company and he earns a very large pay check but grinds every day every minute.. I used to work in a retail store in minimum wage and in all honesty I done fuck all, I guess it's the same with all young staff.
it is only two sentences that he says in the video, and I basically typed them out. I don't want you to watch the whole video, just that one part.

Gen said:
I'm not entirely this thread understands inflation rates.

Share what you know, educate the people!