• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Rental board

Solidify

Should a landlord be able to turn down a tenant based on a criminal record?

A friend of mine is in this situation and currently, the law forbids such. Without making up another excuse to rid the interested tenant, do you think the landlord should have that privilege?

I've suggested his parents to give an excuse. The reason being is because I'm a landlord myself and have had several tenants live in the bachelor under my home, none of who's lease lasted more than a year. My dad was always stuck renovation broken doors, cigarette tints on ceilings and damaged walls when they left.

Without considering my or my friend's situations, solely based on the question, do you think it's fair to be able to allow landlord's to do that? Why or why not.

SpecialOps0

Based on past crime record I believe that is up to the land lord. Depending on the situation such as stealing or small crimes should stay in the past.

Events such as murder ect... are bigger crimes and should be labeled and they should be kicked out as they are in other jobs.

Past should be in the past, everyone needs a second chance unless it is so against your belief that they should be there or around you. If they are against your wishes they should be possible of harm towards themselves or others.

Solidify

True but

SpecialOps0 said:
everyone needs a second chance unless it is so against your belief that they should be there or around you

The law isn't trained to acknowledge your or anyone else's beliefs.

SpecialOps0

Which is why I said that other companies, businesses, and jobs will deny them for the placement based on criminal activity. There is a certain point left up to the head (in this case the land lord) to decide where criminal activity needs to have action taken upon it. If you go too soon it is unconstitutional and the person can deem they don't have the same rights based on religion, race, appearance, sex, ect... even if they don't mention it to you or you mention it to them.

Zangrefia

Onyx user!
They should have a right to deny them or accept them. But I'm pretty sure you're in Canada and American law and Canadian law probably differ. But in America we are allowed to deny or accept whomever we want.

Incomplete

Onyx user!
If it is a felony I believe he should be able to. If the person has commited murder or rape definetly they should be able to turn them down.
Possibly if they are accused of theft too.