• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Prevent the PS3 YLOD and extend the lifespan of your PS3

arnes_king

Hello everyone,

I saw yesterday a very good video tutorial on how to prevent the chances of getting ylod on your PS3 system.

The whole process and best thing that you can do is if your PS3 is older then 2 years to open it fully and change the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU.

I thought that it is hard to do that but now that i've done it i can say simply it isn't difficult to do.

Like you know the thermal paste is there to take the heat away from the CPU and GPU and after 2 years the factory thermal paste will be really dry so it won't cool it down well and your PS3 will overheat and then get YLOD.

Here you have the first part of the video (of the 7 part tutorial);
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu3QU8xWxI8[/video]

i have a 40GB PS3 model and it's not the same as the one in the video but i managed it anyway, not much difference ....

I have taken pictures all the way of doing it but just follow this guy on the video and you can't really do anything wrong :)

There is just 1 thing that you need to care off, just do it very slow with patience, don't pull anything off with force if it won't take off, just do it slow and look close at everything first ... And also you need something to get the screws there but not all screws in the same bottle because you won't know later where which belongs, just make sure you know where you've taken off every screw and where and in which order you've disassembled every part and you'll be fine.

I hope that this will help someone like it was helpfull to me, because this will really help your PS3, extend the lifespan and minimize the chances of getting YLOD, if you fear it so much like i do :S

And anyways it's "Prevention is better then fixing later" :)

Good luck and if you stuck somewhere feel free to ask me for help and i will do that ;)

P.S. Watch every part of the tutorial COMPLETE every minute of it, when done the 1st one go to the 2nd on the right side and so on ....

meneer15

I got a 60GB PS3 version, that is the 2nd version. It's, compared to the newer versions of the PS3, outdated. But you will only get the YLOD when you keep your system running for hours and hours without shutting it down. You won't get too much problems when you just let your system cool down when it's going to make a bit more noise. Especially when it's in the summer, open all the windows in your room, keep the door open and make sure that there is enough air circulation. If your not sure your system is being cooled enough, place a small fan next to it or even an Air Conditioner. Just make sure that the temperature never goes up to 25 degrees Celsius. If your system is getting hot, just turn it off and watch some TV. Or even better, if it's 25+ degrees Celsius, what are you doing in that room anyway ? Go outside, go to a swimming pool or to the beach, enjoy the sun and get some tan, way better than sitting the dark, playing CoD or whatever.

arnes_king

meneer15 said:
I got a 60GB PS3 version, that is the 2nd version. It's, compared to the newer versions of the PS3, outdated. But you will only get the YLOD when you keep your system running for hours and hours without shutting it down. You won't get too much problems when you just let your system cool down when it's going to make a bit more noise. Especially when it's in the summer, open all the windows in your room, keep the door open and make sure that there is enough air circulation. If your not sure your system is being cooled enough, place a small fan next to it or even an Air Conditioner. Just make sure that the temperature never goes up to 25 degrees Celsius. If your system is getting hot, just turn it off and watch some TV. Or even better, if it's 25+ degrees Celsius, what are you doing in that room anyway ? Go outside, go to a swimming pool or to the beach, enjoy the sun and get some tan, way better than sitting the dark, playing CoD or whatever.

I am totally agreed with that, but anyway changing the thermal paste of your PS3 will surelly extend it's lifespan ....

meneer15

I know but no need to open your system and accidentally ruining something when your trying to fix it. If my system breaks down, no problem. I got all saved data back-upped in the new cloud service so if anything happens, I just sent my system to Sony and they sent me a new one, I re-download the saved data + re-install the games and I'm done.

arnes_king

Yeah but some people like me don't have that much money to buy a new one with warranty, we need to buy second hand ones because they are here to expensive and people here don't have money, so you need to take care of your PS3 if you got the money to buy it and not to get ylod or something else and then pay 150$ for a repair, people are working here the whole month for about 500$ ..... i think you will know know what i mean ....

meneer15

If you got a YLoD you can sent the system to Sony and they sent you a new one for free. You don't need to pay for repairs because you take it to the shop and they sent it to Sony. They don't repair it.

arnes_king

meneer15 said:
If you got a YLoD you can sent the system to Sony and they sent you a new one for free. You don't need to pay for repairs because you take it to the shop and they sent it to Sony. They don't repair it.

Without warranty nobody will fix it for free or send you a new one, and btw i am from bosnia, should i send my ps3 to the usa ?

arnes_king

Yuhuuu i just repaired my friends fat ps3 which had ylod, now it works again nice and easy :D i am so happy because the youtube diys ylod fix with the heatgun worked :D

Vipul

I didn't know that sony send new PS3 when its get ylod. Nice uhm and sony HQ is in Japan, not in Usa but their branches are everywhere

DarkGizmo

I had a bunch of games coming out last year that I knew i was gonna rank HOURS of in the first day or so of having the games in my possession, Yakuza 3 being one of them, so I sold my 60GB PS3 and replaced it with a slim. My 60GB didn't YLOD but i knew if I put it through the heavy-duty gaming sessions I had last year it would have, so i sold it before i let that happen and made back pretty much what i paid for it back in 2007. :) I got a slim now and couldn't be happier with it :D