• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

My New Build [WIP]

Astro

User is banned.
On a summery Christmas morning far, far away, a young 14 year old Astro was gifted his first Apple computer. The 2011 Mac mini.
For close to 5 years I have used my low spec Mac mini for far more than it was designed for. Gaming, graphics, and having a ridiculous number of tabs open was just too much for my poor little Mac to handle, and sadly its time has come. After being sick and tired of lengthy load times and loud fans, I decided to invest in a new computer.

Here I will be documenting my 'progress report' for my new setup. 
I'd like to think this will be more of a personal diary than the typical 'look at how much I compensate for my penis' thread. I understand that FK is probably the last place to post a PC building thread - the majority sit back and use their retina MacBooks to comment on each other's dank instagram feeds, but hey, this is for my own personal gain.

Current stage: Built and awaiting video card

List of components/specs: (Purchased/Not Purchased)

Case: BitFenix Phenom (White) Mini ITX Tower

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 C9

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core

GPU: GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming [IN TRANSIT]

Storage: Corsair Neutron XT 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

PSU: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATXi

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX CLC 240mm

Fans: Corsair SP120 (2x)

Corsair AF120 (2x)
Corsair AF140

Daimi

User is banned.
@Astro

Get this for your CPU cooler, its new, and updated, also it has a massive radiator. H100i GT ; Actually you're going for a mini itx form factor, you really should at least get a micro atx mid tower if you can, but you could get a decent air cooler if you don't have the room to spare. This, if it will fit.

As for the 980, its not really worth the extra 200 odd sum dollars as they both perform very similarly in games, but whatever floats your boat.

Now you have a great CPU, but you don't have a great chipset, you really should invest into getting a Z97 board for better overclocks etc.

Astro

User is banned.
Aimi said:
@Astro

Get this for your CPU cooler, its new, and updated, also it has a massive radiator. H100i GT ; Actually you're going for a mini itx form factor, you really should at least get a micro atx mid tower if you can, but you could get a decent air cooler if you don't have the room to spare. This, if it will fit.

As for the 980, its not really worth the extra 200 odd sum dollars as they both perform very similarly in games, but whatever floats your boat.

Now you have a great CPU, but you don't have a great chipset, you really should invest into getting a Z97 board for better overclocks etc.

Isn't the entire Maximus VII series Z97?
And there's no way I'm gonna fit a dual radiator in my mini ITX. The H90 and H80i are both gonna be a tight fit as it is, my decision comes down to noise and airflow.

Daimi

User is banned.
Astro said:
Isn't the entire Maximus VII series Z97?
And there's no way I'm gonna fit a dual radiator in my mini ITX. The H90 and H80i are both gonna be a tight fit as it is, my decision comes down to noise and airflow.

I thought it wasnt a z97 because clicked the hyper link which led me to a different board ;-;.

Astro

User is banned.
Updated a few things - swapped out the reference 980 with the ASUS Matrix for a higher clock speed.
Also changed the case to the BitFenix Phenom for less clutter and 240mm rad compatibility.

Particles

Power member.
What's your budget Astro?
Do you prefer Small Form Factor? (micro or mini itx)

I'll chuck together a build for you.

Astro

User is banned.
Eevee said:
What's your budget Astro?
Do you prefer Small Form Factor? (micro or mini itx)

I'll chuck together a build for you.
Already sorted what I'm getting man, just documenting it.
And yes I prefer mini ITX.

Particles

Power member.
Astro said:
Already sorted what I'm getting man, just documenting it.
And yes I prefer mini ITX.

Ah okay, be sure to hmu if you need advice at all.

And do a build log! :D

Astro

User is banned.
Yosemite said:
That SSD looks sexy, huge size too!
Looks like you're already off to a good start!
Thanks man. It's about half of what I need to get my little beast running. Still need my CPU, GPU and cooler.

Hurt

Astro said:
Thanks man. It's about half of what I need to get my little beast running. Still need my CPU, GPU and cooler.

What size case did you go for?
Sounds like your computer will be amazing though, you have really high quality parts!

Astro

User is banned.
Yosemite said:
What size case did you go for?
Sounds like your computer will be amazing though, you have really high quality parts!

BitFenix Phenom m-ITX in white.

Krish

User is banned.
Huge huge mistake with that gpu man.

Krish

User is banned.
Astro said:
Haven't ordered it yet so feel free to persuade me otherwise.

I'm at school right now. I'll give you much better options on gpu's

Astro

User is banned.
Yosemite said:
I missed that in the OP, my bad.
Good looking case though, when do you think you will have all the parts ordered and start building?

Hopefully by the end of May. I kinda just blew my bank on those parts.

Krish said:
I'm at school right now. I'll give you much better options on gpu's
Or you could not be a lil bitch and give them to me now. It's 3am zzz. @krish

Astro

User is banned.
The SSD, RAM, and PSU arrived. The cooler is currently in transit.
I'm in doubt about buying a 980 now. According to plentiful rumours, the 980 Ti looks to be releasing soon, which will bridge the performance gap to the Titan X. It would be stupid to buy a card that will be very shortly replaced with a Ti version.