• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Installing Windows 10

Tempts

Onyx user!
This is a text based tutorial to help you gain access to the unreleased, Windows 10.

While the OS is not officially out, Microsoft offers users an "insider" view on Windows 10.

Before we get started, just remember that I am not responsible for any damages to your PC. 
It is recommended that you do NOT use your primary PC, as the build is still quite unstable, and could cause crashes, or file deletion.
Not all software/hardware will work just yet, so be aware of this.​

Microsoft's minimum system specs:
   • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2
   • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
   • Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
   • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver 

We are going to begin by heading over to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview and clicking "get started" 

You're going to need to register using your outlook, hotmail, or windows account.

Once you register, accept the terms, you should be able to get the upgrade!

I know this isnt very thorough, but it's not too hard of a task. If you need assistance just let me know.

ForumKorner

I'm actually waiting for Windows 10 to be released, it's so much better than 8.1. Do you know when the release date is? Also, if you're an 8.1 is it free to upgrade to 10?

Tempts

Onyx user!
Emoji said:
I'm actually waiting for Windows 10 to be released, it's so much better than 8.1. Do you know when the release date is? Also, if you're an 8.1 is it free to upgrade to 10?

Unsure about the release, however I'd expect it within the next few months.

I am not sure if it will be a free upgrade, however, I believe that using the pre-release provides you with a key for windows 10, and as they will be providing updates, could be a chance to get it free.

Tempts said:
Unsure about the release, however I'd expect it within the next few months.

I am not sure if it will be a free upgrade, however, I believe that using the pre-release provides you with a key for windows 10, and as they will be providing updates, could be a chance to get it free.

Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1users

Jupi

rebel
Hassam said:
Upgrading to Windows 10 Technical preview right now :)

Let me know how it goes, mate. Can't afford to lose some of my files. :p

Tempts

Onyx user!
Hassam said:
Upgrading to Windows 10 Technical preview right now :)

Got it on my laptop, cba to get it on my PC, already lost my files twice. 

Jupi

rebel
Tempts said:
Got it on my laptop, cba to get it on my PC, already lost my files twice. 

Why did you not back everything up. :/

Tempts

Onyx user!
Hansel said:
Why did you not back everything up. :/
wasn't due to windows 10, PC just crashed out of no where, wouldn't even boot :p

Chainsmoke

Onyx user!
I wanted to test out, but I don't like upgrading computers to new operating systems due to comparability issues. Will most likely build another PC specifically for Windows 10.

Tempts

Onyx user!
Sktchy said:
I wanted to test out, but I don't like upgrading computers to new operating systems due to comparability issues. Will most likely build another PC specifically for Windows 10.

Main reason not to test it on your main PC. I've got it on a laptop that was originally on windows 7, runs fine, however a lot of external hardware (wireless mouse, printer) aren't supported just yet

Chainsmoke

Onyx user!
Tempts said:
Main reason not to test it on your main PC. I've got it on a laptop that was originally on windows 7, runs fine, however a lot of external hardware (wireless mouse, printer) aren't supported just yet

It will most likely be the train wreck that windows 8.1 was when it first released. I got a new PC along with windows 8 on the day of it's release.

Tempts

Onyx user!
Sktchy said:
It will most likely be the train wreck that windows 8.1 was when it first released. I got a new PC along with windows 8 on the day of it's release.

Windows 8.1 nearly ruined my PC the day it came out, Windows 10 has crashed a couple times for me, but it's still a pre-release at least.

Chainsmoke

Onyx user!
Tempts said:
Windows 8.1 nearly ruined my PC the day it came out, Windows 10 has crashed a couple times for me, but it's still a pre-release at least.

I won't touch the pre-release or even when it first comes out. I'm a dev, can't risk my work.

Tempts

Onyx user!
Sktchy said:
I won't touch the pre-release or even when it first comes out. I'm a dev, can't risk my work.

Only reason I'm messing with pre-release on a PC I don't use is because I'm in the IT side of things. Gotta get used to an OS so if/when needed I'm able to perform repairs and all that good stuff

Riku

Is the file an *.ISO ?
Or is it just an *.exe or something of the sort?

Because if it's an ISO I can further expand your guide with step-by-step instructions on how to completely install it. :p

Tempts

Onyx user!
Riku said:
Is the file an *.ISO ?
Or is it just an *.exe or something of the sort?

Because if it's an ISO I can further expand your guide with step-by-step instructions on how to completely install it. :p
I believe its only an .ISO. I would have gone in depth on mounting an ISO but didn't want to go into it if I didn't have to

Riku

Tempts said:
I believe its only an .ISO. I would have gone in depth on mounting an ISO but didn't want to go into it if I didn't have to

Well here you go man, feel free to add this to the OP - This is not copied from other sources or anything, completely written by me at this exact moment - this is for USBs only

1. Download your Windows ISO
2. Plug in your USB
3. Format your USB (google if you dont know how, SUPER simple)
4. Make sure you have enough required space on your USB (4+ gigs is nice)
5. Download WiNToBootic here
5.5. YOU NEED WINTOBOOTIC, BECAUSE IT CHANGES THE USB TO NTSF
6. Follow the steps as said. Input your ISO and it will automatically locate your USB (pretty sure)
7. Once everything is completely done, shut down your computer.
8. Boot the computer back up, and open your Boot Options/Boot Menu, and select "Boot from USB" or something of the sort

DONE :D

This is what I did for Windows 7, pretty sure the same applies to Win10.

Iyyel

Yeah, gonna have one of my laptop to test it out for the first time.

Gonna be interesting to see how it is compared to 8/8.1 :)