• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Irelandrulz2

Onyx user!
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

The term sound is a very broad term. For something to be a sound you have to hear it right?
If something happened which would make a sound if someone was around, but no one was actually there does it make a sound?

Tricky....

Manatee

Sound - the sensation produced by stimulation of the organs of hearing by vibrations transmitted through the air or other medium.

so no. i wouldn't think so.

Irelandrulz2

Onyx user!
Yea see that's what I think. People argue however that Sound doesn't actually have to be heard to be a sound...

Vanquish

Onyx user!
The tree falling would make sound, of course.
If I wasn't here, my phone going off will still make sound.
I'm not sure what you're getting at, most likely.

Manatee

gx0g8.png

Palistus

Does your girlfriend make a sound when she sneaks out of the house at night? Yes, but you don't hear it, it's still a sound, thus, trees = girls, and trees make sounds.

/thread

Palistus

krizhiel said:
well its a nature Flow ...... everything have a cycle!

Exactly! People are neglecting trees by assuming they aren't natural beings too, and thinking they don't have cycles as well! Trees are alive, plants are alive, therefore plenty of things are alive to witness it anyways, including itself as it plumets towards the earth, and makes a crashing sound, and is felled.
Besides, I'm fairly sure the tree is heard, but by the time the sound waves reach the nearest human it'd be too small to perceive.

Solidify

No, because the definition of sound is "something that you hear." No one's there to hear the tree fall, so the tree doesn't make a sound. Since no one was present to 'hear' the 'sound', it's referred to as mere 'noise'.

Zangrefia

Onyx user!
Yes it would make a sound. Defined as: "any auditory effect; any audible vibrational disturbance: all kinds of sounds." It would qualify as a sound.

AnoN

User is banned.
Yeah it would make a sound... lmao it doesn't matter if your there or not :D or DOES IT? o_O

[H]ell

User is banned.
If I put a dollar bill in a box, and close it.. Will the bill still be there, or will it get jumped into a whole new dimension of darkness, till I open the box again?
There is no way of knowing..

weofthesea

"The term sound is a very broad term. For something to be a sound you have to hear it right?"

are you kidding me? i'm sorry, but that's just ignorant.. lol. sounds just ARE. for something to be a sound, you don't need to hear it.
if your neighbor dropped something on the floor, and you didn't hear it, are you telling me it was completely silent? no. maybe you didn't hear it, but the sound still exists.

saying something doesn't make sound if you're not around is like saying little elves like to misplace your car keys when you're not paying attention.

[H]ell

User is banned.
Please define sound. The question cannot be answered without the meaning of the word sound.