• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

How to stay secure when downloading files from this section [By Chris and RuneScape]

Inxy

Onyx user!
mWa.png
Guide by Chris and RuneScape​

cyborgx1.png

Hello, everybody. In this tutorial me and RuneScape will be teaching you how to stay secure whilst downloading files from this section. Please read the whole thread, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Tips and common sense:​

• Always use a reliable Anti-virus
  • Keep your anti-virus up to date
  • Let somebody else test the download, and if they give the thumbs-up, you know it's safe!
  • No such thing as gold changer, stat changer or anything long those lines

What is malware?

Malware, short for malicious software, consists of programming (code, scripts, active content, and other software) designed to disrupt or deny operation, gather information that leads to loss of privacy or exploitation, gain unauthorized access to system resources, and other abusive behavior. The expression is a general term used by computer professionals to mean a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or annoying software or program code.

Types of malware

How to keep safe:

Antivirus: Antivirus or anti-virus software is used to prevent, detect, and remove malware, including but not limited to computer viruses, computer worm, trojan horses, spyware and adware. This page talks about the software used for the prevention and removal of such threats, rather than computer security implemented by software methods.

Firewall: A firewall is a device or set of devices designed to permit or deny network transmissions based upon a set of rules and is frequently used to protect networks from unauthorized access while permitting legitimate communications to pass.

Many personal computer operating systems include software-based firewalls to protect against threats from the public Internet. Many routers that pass data between networks contain firewall components and, conversely, many firewalls can perform basic routing functions.

Recommended tools to keep you safe:

Spybot SND

1043809773-1.jpg

Searches whole computer or just a certain file for malicious software commonly missed by anti-virus programs. Can be used to clean usage tracks.

Download Spybot SND

MalwareBytes

49560-malwarebytes-anti-malware3.jpg

Download Malwarebytes

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a surprisingly effective freeware antimalware tool. It's a relatively speedy malware remover, with the quick scan taking about 8 minutes even with other high-resource programs running. The heuristics engine proved on multiple computers during empirical testing that it was capable of determining the difference between false positives and dangerous apps.

KeyScrambler

42395202.jpg

Download KeyScrambler

KeyScrambler encrypts your keystrokes deep in the kernel, giving keyloggers only meaningless keys to record.

Zone alarm Firewall

zonealarm-pro.png

Download Zone Alarm Firewall

Award winning Firewall, internet firewall and computer security software by ZoneAlarm, including virus scan and anti-spyware protection.

COMODO FireWall

Comodo-Firewall.jpg

Download COMODO FireWall

Comodo Internet Security 2011 is the free, multi-layered, security application that offers complete protection from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero-day attacks, spyware and hackers. Built from the ground upwards with your security in mind, Comodo Internet Security combines powerful Antivirus protection, an enterprise class packet filtering firewall, advanced host intrusion prevention, application control and anti-spyware in one supremely powerful application. The latest version sees a major leap forward in security and usability with the addition of cloud based virus-scanning and behavior analysis of unrecognized files - making CIS 2011 unbeatable at detecting zero-day attacks. Under default settings, unknown and untrusted files are automatically scanned by our cloud-based virus scanners then, while the file undergoes behavior analysis on our cloud server, it is run in a sandbox on your local machine so that it cannot modify or affect data on your 'real' system.

Version 1.0
- Guide posted
Version 1.1
- Minor updates to "Tips and Common Sense"

ROFL at Zone Alarm. My friend uses that and even though he allowed it through the firewall, it wouldnt let him play. When I checked logs, apparently it was gett blocked as a DDOS attempt. I googled it, it was because of the massive server refresh. That was back in the day when it 1st came out. I think that has been fixed now though.

Good guide. You might want to add:

No such thing as duplication tools or stat boosters etc. Just so that newbies don't download shit

Inxy

Onyx user!
michaelkr1 said:
ROFL at Zone Alarm. My friend uses that and even though he allowed it through the firewall, it wouldnt let him play. When I checked logs, apparently it was gett blocked as a DDOS attempt. I googled it, it was because of the massive server refresh. That was back in the day when it 1st came out. I think that has been fixed now though.

Good guide. You might want to add:

No such thing as duplication tools or stat boosters etc. Just so that newbies don't download shit

Thanks mate, added.

ImSoPro

Onyx user!
You just beat mine guide! Very nice guide.

Ninja

Power member.
Just saying, it's not the best idea to have more than 1 firewall on at a time, they could create a conflict and not work as well,
Also there is sandboxie, yet some can bypass it.

Inxy

Onyx user!
I know that, just suggestion of few firewalls that people may like.

Relapse

Onyx user!
Hmm I've never heard of the keyscrambler, how well does it work? As in does it lag your comp at all, give you annoying ads, etc etc

Inxy

Onyx user!
It encrypts your keystroke with random keys. Great way to bypass key loggers. In addition, no it only use's 30MB of RAM.

eXero

Onyx user!
No ads with keyscrambler either. I've used it, and sometimes it would mess up when I would type something in.

Key scrambler is good. But it can screw up when you CPU usage and RAM usage gets high (Above 90% usage). So it's still a great program.

Techno

User is banned.
Hmm... I'm going to see if I can find a Key Scrambler that is also compatible with Chrome, which I don't have to pay for.

Key Scrambler should be compatible with chrome. As it's software based encryption in between the Driver and the OS.

Inxy

Onyx user!
Mike said:
Hmm... I'm going to see if I can find a Key Scrambler that is also compatible with Chrome, which I don't have to pay for.

Works like a charm with Chrome.

unledchs.png

Techno

User is banned.
Chris said:
Mike said:

Works like a charm with Chrome.

unledchs.png
The free one doesn't work for Chrome. If you read I said that you don't have to pay for.

So Chris, you like hardstyle eh? ;)
OT: I don't have anything to say thats on topic actually :\