• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

[Guide] PC Encryption

Daimi

User is banned.
Making this guide, cuz this pretty important and all ;-;.

So first you should understand what encryption is:

Encryption is the most effective way to achieve data security. To read an encrypted file, you must have access to a secret key or password that enables you to decrypt it. Unencrypted data is called plain text ; encrypted data is referred to as cipher text.

Pretty easy right?

Alright so now we're going to go in depth on how to encrypt your hard-drive, and or files.

The tool we're going to be using is "veracrypt", very handy tool, does what you need it to do, offers more than enough encryption methods.

Download: https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/releases/view/616110

Once downloaded open it up then click this.

5WWrLke.png

Then click

AzXp3Zc.png

Next

53oDbo5.png

It should select your windows drive, but I already encrypted mine so it won't show up for me.

ADidhsM.png

Here I'd select AES(Twofish(Serpent) But it depends what you got on your drive, for most people just pick Twofish.

Make a long password I.E. 9qpcZ7aErwK-nPDC#b&C7^^@JSeFnd$* then you can write this down on a paper to remember it : 9 queen park coffee ZIP 7 apple EGG rope walmart KOREAN - nut PARK DRIP COFFEE # bestbuy & COFFEE 7 ^ ^ @ JACK SKYPE egg FRUIT nut drip $ *

Password Generator

Then click next, then when it asks to move your mouse in random directions do it for as long as you can (I do it for about 6 minutes or so).

Then you're done.

When you boot up your pc it will ask for the password you made, so enter it and press enter, now it may take a bit to verify the password, but your files are 100% safe if you picked a secure password.

commServer

Yes i have read allot about 'VeraCrypt' but still hands down can put my vouch on 'TrueCrypt'. TrueCrypt is more reliable through the complex algorithm.

Daimi

User is banned.
commServer said:
Yes i have read allot about 'VeraCrypt' but still hands down can put my vouch on 'TrueCrypt'. TrueCrypt is more reliable through the complex algorithm.

nah. ;-; lemme tell u why

In technical terms, when a system partition is encrypted, TrueCrypt uses PBKDF2-RIPEMD160 with 1,000 iterations. For standard containers and other (i.e. non system) partitions, TrueCrypt uses at most 2,000 iterations.

What Idrassi did was beef up the transformation process. VeraCrypt uses 327,661 iterations of the PBKDF2-RIPEMD160 algorithm for system partitions, and for standard containers and other partitions it uses 655,331 iterations of RIPEMD160 and 500,000 iterations of SHA-2 and Whirlpool.

While this makes VeraCrypt slightly slower at opening encrypted partitions, it makes the software a minimum of 10 and a maximum of about 300 times harder to brute force. "Effectively, something that might take a month to crack with TrueCrypt might take a year with VeraCrypt.