• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Cyberbullying. Really an issue?

Is cyber-bullying really an issue?

• Total voters

Name

Power member.
Very controversial topic in the past few years. What do you think? Is it a problem or not?

My outlook: 
NO. Only if you make it a problem. Some parents do not teach their children how to filter good criticism from hate. Not everyone will like everyone and people can't avoid that. The only way this "problem" can be averted is by starting with a child's upbringing. This generation is being taught that they don't have to personally deal with issues because someone on a white horse will ride in a promptly shut the other kid up. If a person is spreading lies on the internet, then there are legal reasons to get involved. That is a separate issue from bullying because it is direct defamation of a person's character. But, just because some adolescents want to be mean and say "kill urself nerd. get cancer you degen fuck" on the internet doesn't mean the internet has a "cyber-bullying" problem. If the hate is by anonymous people on a certain website, the parents should take charge and not let their child go on that website and explain clearly, "They don't know you. You don't know them. Stop worrying." If the online bullying is being done by supposed "friends" offline, then the child needs to be taught how to get better friends. If it's the community that's damaging to the child's mental health, then the family probably should do what they can do move into a more kind living environment. The media has taken the pseudo-problem of cyber-bullying and exploded it, just like they do on every issue that grabs peoples' attentions. ABC went far enough to sponsor a movie called "Cyberbully," which effectively criticized the internet for not monitoring every single post ever created on it. Yes, there have been instances where a child has attempted/committed suicide because of online hate. But, remember each of these children were insecure and, in most cases, the predominant amount of bullying happened outside the internet. If a child isn't going to be taught how to handle hate through a computer screen, how are they supposed to handle it in real life, at school, at work, or in public? There is no "cyber-bullying" issue, there is just an issue of children expelling their own anger, social inadequacies, mental instabilities, etc. onto other children through a new medium. This doesn't mean I support bullying, but there should be a burden on parents to actually teach their kids how to ignore hate, live their own lives, and not be oversensitive. By trying to eliminate every medium for bullying only gives the bullies leeway by shifting the issue from the bully to the availability to bullying. If there's a problem, the child should know all they have to do is not acknowledge the bully (on the internet it's called the "block" or "report" button). There is no physical abuse on the internet, therefore ignoring the issue is the best solution there is. Don't give bullies recognition because then they know it's working. (p.s: Anybody who claims this is a pro-bullying response obviously didn't read this comment correctly)

Jaii

just block the little fuck or jack all his shit.

kid will not fuck with you then

GG hold the Peas

tumblr_lkcmwfYKZ51qixleeo1_500.gif

Exist

Formerly @Trap
I personally think people should just stick up for themselves. If that doesn't work, counter bully them until they stop. If that doesn't work, break their legs.

Some people can't take a joke and that type of cyber bullying is laughable to me.

The kind where the ex boyfriend uploads the girls nudes and ruins her life, that's where law enforcement should be involved.

Nab

User is banned.
It wouldn't let me vote on the poll, so I'll just say no in the comments.
I had a debate about bulling overall in a philosophy class, someone brought up the fact that if it wasn't a serious problem people wouldn't kill themselves over it.
I'm not going to post what my reply was, I ended up winning the debate, and made the girl cry.

California

Power member.
Just close the laptop. GG no re.

Crisp

Power member.
It is serious because people commit over it, but I don't take it seriously and I don't think anybody should take it seriously.

Sleep

Twitter : Signallings
I am not a cyber bully I am a cyber terrorist js

Hmm. This is a complex issue, but I think that the bottom-line is to be careful about what you do on the Internet, and by that I'm referring to the kind of information you release (pictures and other personal details). Most social websites have block or ignore features, too, so this isn't really as much of a problem as some people claim.

got said:
It wouldn't let me vote on the poll, so I'll just say no in the comments.
I had a debate about bulling overall in a philosophy class, someone brought up the fact that if it wasn't a serious problem people wouldn't kill themselves over it.
I'm not going to post what my reply was, I ended up winning the debate, and made the girl cry.
I don't think anyone's ever really killed themselves over something that happened on the Internet. They were probably experiencing problems in real-life and a few insults simply triggered the end result.

Ellis

Onyx user!
imo I think its the people who 'bully' for no reason that have the problem, not at all is it the because the whole internet isn't being monitored with I think would be a impossible task

Nab

User is banned.
AutisticCatgirl said:
Hmm. This is a complex issue, but I think that the bottom-line is to be careful about what you do on the Internet, and by that I'm referring to the kind of information you release (pictures and other personal details). Most social websites have block or ignore features, too, so this isn't really as much of a problem as some people claim.

I don't think anyone's ever really killed themselves over something that happened on the Internet. They were probably experiencing problems in real-life and a few insults simply triggered the end result.
That's why I said "bullying overall."

Kiss

Yea sometimes it really effects someoone elses life dramatically i think it should b more looked at n not looked over.

WhiteSign12

Although it's a knee jerk reaction to say "No, just turn off your computer, problem solved", I'd urge you to consider how you'd react in the following scenario before reaching a conclusion:

Sophomore year, high school. You get off the school bus one morning with all your friends, only to find a great big sign " *Your name here* has herpes and got rejected by *insert popular girl's name here* ". All the students see that sign, and ridicule you for it mercilessly for days on end. The situation gets to be so bad you start skipping school, before eventually dropping out altogether.

I think we can agree that the above situation is problematic, and, if possible, that the school should take action against whoever put the sign there in the first place. When something is posted to a public forum where all your peers interact such as Facebook, Instagram, etc., it should be no different; a disparaging remark is being made that would not be tolerated in the real world, and should not be tolerated in the cyber world either.

old

We all know tyler's tweet and I think that holds true. There is no such thing as cyber bullying but there are cyber bitches.

Amp

Power member.
I don't think it's really an issue, most of the time. The point that Trap brought up is true, though. At certain points it can be very serious.

Hurt

I believe cyber bullying isn't a real issue. All you have to do is sign out, block them, or just get over it because they are pixels on a screen. Although when cyber bullying starts affecting you in real life (i.e Amanda Todd) then it has moved beyond cyber bullying and has become physical bullying which IS a real issue. This doesn't mean that people on the internet can be total assholes to each other simply because they are pixels, because words can hurt no matter what way they come in whether it be face to face, via twitter, via facebook, rude questions being left to you on a service like ask.fm, or literally any of the 1000's of ways we communicate now. But there is a way to prevent most cyber bullying, which is just block them and be done with it.

pafjlh

We can easily say that if you don't go to the Social Media website and view these comments they won't hurt you. But this isn't necessarily true, while you aren't there others who know you such as classmates are. They are reading the nastly disgusting things that were written there about you such as in the case of Amanda Todd the girl who ended up committing suicide due to the bullying. When this happens it gets back to you, because these kids are believing the ugly stuff being said and ridicule you for it. So, cyber bullying can hurt even if you don't see it yourself, others around you are.

Yes, there are those situations wher e person does put themselves out there mainly because they love Social Media and have those out there that they have connected with that they like. Take Paris Jackson for example, she loved Twitter and went out there all the time, but then she started to be cyber bullied online the same way she was being bullied at the school she was at, and she attempted suickde. Fortunately she survived but to my knowledge hasn't gone back to Twitter and is now being home schooled once more. Its a sad situation that kids feel the need to bully others kids, all because it makes them feel superior to the other kid.

Name

Power member.
Just a little bumparoonie for this here thread!

Fedora

No,
Seriously, it's just online.
Easy ways to prevent, Cyber Bullying.
Turn off your computer, don't get internet, and walking away from the screen
BAM!You are no longer able to be bullied on the internet