• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

CPU 100%

Mick

I have never really had a problem with my custom build computer till recently when I got a new hard drive. Now I find it hard to watch youtube videos or even browse the forum. My cpu shoots up to 100%.

What should I do?

Thanks.

Blunts

User is banned.
My CPU never passes 10%, and i'm on a dinosaur running XP.

Mick

Blunts. said:
My CPU never passes 10%, and i'm on a dinosaur running XP.

Yeah, its weird I have never had a problem, I can usually watch netflix use photoshop and render in C4D and never get lagg at most it would get to around 30. Yet now I cant even watch a youtube video.

Blunts

User is banned.
Mick said:
Yeah, its weird I have never had a problem, I can usually watch netflix use photoshop and render in C4D and never get lagg at most it would get to around 30. Yet now I cant even watch a youtube video.

Is your computer treating your HDD like a measly USB drive? First thing I would check, if I were having this issue.

Singed

Onyx user!
Firstly, what CPU do you have?
Secondly, what PSU do you have (incl. wattage)?
Thirdly, what temps are you getting on your CPU (both idle and under load)?
And lastly, have you scanned for any malware recently?

BasedGod

User is banned.
I have this same problem. It sucks and used to never happen

Bill Gates

Onyx user!
First you should download http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and scan for malware. After the scan is over remove the objects detected by right clicking on the items and clicking select all. After that reboot your computer and scan again.

Mick

Firstly, what CPU do you have? Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @3.20GHz 3.60GHz
Secondly, what PSU do you have (incl. wattage)? widetech the max 550 Watt
Thirdly, what temps are you getting on your CPU (both idle and under load)? Low 75 c - High 105 c
And lastly, have you scanned for any malware recently? Yes, nothing come up.

I Don't know much about computer although I suspect that the temp is way to high?

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Singed

Onyx user!
Mick said:
Firstly, what CPU do you have? Interl(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @3.20GHz 3.60GHz
Secondly, what PSU do you have (incl. wattage)? widetech the max 550 Watt
Thirdly, what temps are you getting on your CPU (both idle and under load)? Low 75 c - High 105 c
And lastly, have you scanned for any malware recently? Yes, nothing come up.
There is your problem.. Those temps are ludicrously high, and most likely bottlenecking your CPU performance because of it. You should look into opening up your case and giving it one hell of a good clean out; fans, filters, heatsink, everything! You might be surprised how much of a difference this can make.

Mick

Singed said:
There is your problem.. Those temps are ludicrously high, and most likely bottlenecking your CPU performance because of it. You should look into opening up your case and giving it one hell of a good clean out; fans, filters, heatsink, everything! You might be surprised how much of a difference this can make.

I just cleaned it the other day, do you think there could be something wrong with the fans or is there something else I could do?

Thanks so much.

Singed

Onyx user!
Mick said:
I just cleaned it the other day, do you think there could be something wrong with the fans or is there something else I could do?

Thanks so much.
Yeah, are you using the stock heatsink on your CPU? The thermal paste holding it together could also be worn and need to be re-applied.
However, it does seem odd that even simple things are causing it to throttle @ 100%. You should keep a close eye on what's the root of it with the resource monitor.. It can be very useful for detailed system usage.

Mick

Singed said:
Yeah, are you using the stock heatsink on your CPU? The thermal paste holding it together could also be worn and need to be re-applied.
However, it does seem odd that even simple things are causing it to throttle @ 100%. You should keep a close eye on what's the root of it with the resource monitor.. It can be very useful for detailed system usage.

Yes im using the stock heatsink, I think...

Do you have any suggestions for thermal paste, I had a look but every site I look is from 2003 - 2006 and very out dated and all the new sites seem to have very different answers.

Mick

Singed said:

Added new thermal paste and didn't make a difference, temps are still at 80+ c...

What else could this be?

Mick

n4n0 said:
What brand of thermal paste are you using?

Its cooler master. My I never hit 100% stays at around 10 - 20 but my cumputer is still running at 80 - 100 degrees.

n4n0

Power member.
How did you apply it? Did you spread it yourself?

Best way to do it, is to put a pea sized glob right in the center, then place the heatsink down on the cpu. The pressure will evenly spread the paste, and you can wipe off any residual that comes out of the sides (if any)

Also, as far as thermal paste goes, I highly suggest Arctic Silver (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100008) for example (They have a lot of different kinds)

If that still doesn't work, boot up your system and keep an eye on the heatsink. Make sure your fan is running, and make sure you have adequate airflow.

If you're still having issues, try buying a new heatsink.

Finally, and worst case scenario, your chip may be going bad. Depending on how long you've had it, I'd suggest attempting to RMA it for a replacement.

Edit:: One other thing you could try doing - You say this problem started when you installed a new hard drive.... Make sure you get the proper chipset drivers for your mobo. This could cause conflicts and could possibly cause the temp issues you're experiencing.

Mez

Have you scanned for Malware/Viruses yet?

Run a virus scan with your anti virus, if you don't have one, get one immediately, I recommend either AVG Free or Avast!

Also run a malwarebytes scan, you can download it here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Make sure to run both. It may not seem like it, but when you contract a malware/virus infection is can serious bog down your cpu and make it run at 100% all the time.

Mick

Mez said:
Have you scanned for Malware/Viruses yet?

Run a virus scan with your anti virus, if you don't have one, get one immediately, I recommend either AVG Free or Avast!

Also run a malwarebytes scan, you can download it here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Make sure to run both. It may not seem like it, but when you contract a malware/virus infection is can serious bog down your cpu and make it run at 100% all the time.

Yes I have... CPU doesnt go to 100 any more its just at 100 degrees.

м¢ℓσνιη

Has this been sorted?