• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Computer Build Help

Level

I'm was planning on ordering a pre-made computer, but I've been looking around and its obviously more expensive. So I'm here to ask for some advice as to which parts I should use, I'm brand new to this whole building a computer concept, nonetheless I'd like to try (My brother will be helping me actually build it). Alright so my budget is $800 - $1000. I'm not looking for a gaming PC, although I would like it to be capable to run games it just doesn't have to be built specifically for that. I just want an overall good computer, thanks in advance for you help.

Daimi

User is banned.
If you're spending 800-1000 its hard not to get a gaming ready machine, anyway, I'll throw something together and get back to you.

Level

Kowai said:
If you're spending 800-1000 its hard not to get a gaming ready machine, anyway, I'll throw something together and get back to you.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Are you making fully pre-built one that I can see? (Parts etc)

Particles

Power member.
What do you want to do on the PC?
What games do you want to play (when you do play them)?
Preference on size of the PC?
Preference on colour scheme?

Level

Eevee said:
What do you want to do on the PC?
What games do you want to play (when you do play them)?
Preference on size of the PC?
Preference on colour scheme?
Well mostly I want it to be able to run coding programs, since Im going into computer sciences when I enter university. And I want it to mainly be able to run CSGO and LoL. I have no preference in size nor scheme since I'm a scrub at computer hardware related stuff.

Particles

Power member.
Level said:
Well mostly I want it to be able to run coding programs, since Im going into computer sciences when I enter university. And I want it to mainly be able to run CSGO and LoL. I have no preference in size nor scheme since I'm a scrub at computer hardware related stuff.

Okay, thanks for letting me know :) just quickly before I choose parts, are you sure you have no colour preference to the hardware?

Particles

Power member.
@Level
Here's a Mini-ITX sized build which is Black and Blue (with hint of white) colour scheme. Went for Mini-itx because you're moving it to Uni and i'm sure you don't want to lug around a huge lump of PC.
Now, I went for the Xeon processor and a H97 chipsetbecause you are coding and it's $100 cheaper than an i7. Yet it basically IS an i7 just without integrated graphics and without the ability to overclock. It's a quad-core CPU with hyperthreading. You COULD change it up and go for an i5 and a Z97 chipset if you want to overclock.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($243.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BL 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($189.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $987.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-21 16:27 EDT-0400

Whatchu think @kowai?

Daimi

User is banned.
Eevee said:
@Level
Here's a Mini-ITX sized build which is Black and Blue (with hint of white) colour scheme. Went for Mini-itx because you're moving it to Uni and i'm sure you don't want to lug around a huge lump of PC.
Now, I went for the Xeon processor and a H97 chipsetbecause you are coding and it's $100 cheaper than an i7. Yet it basically IS an i7 just without integrated graphics and without the ability to overclock. It's a quad-core CPU with hyperthreading. You COULD change it up and go for an i5 and a Z97 chipset if you want to overclock.
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($81.98 @ Newegg)

Whatchu think @kowai?

Pretty swag. But whatchu think bout a r9 285 vs 960?

Particles

Power member.
Kowai said:
Pretty swag. But whatchu think bout a r9 285 vs 960?

Didn't look at them because most of them are $40 more.
and he's only playing LoL and CS-GO... chose the 960 for quietness and power consumpton

Level

Eevee said:
@Level

Whatchu think @kowai?
Thanks a ton, I'll be looking into the specific parts and how to build a PC. I think this suits me very well, thanks. Is there any specific monitors you reccomend? Or can I just use any type, like the one on my current PC which we bought the monitor separately.

Daimi

User is banned.