• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Brakes or brakeless? [BMX]

Norway

User is banned.
Please post below your preferred method as well as why you choose to ride with or without them :)

Ride

it all depends on what your style is.
Like lets say you ride street. you might want them to stop or slow down. i dont ride with brakes simply because they are a hassle

it also depends on your hub. if you a riding a freecoaster then you want atleast rear brakes or else you cant tiretap/ get out of fakie as easy.

if anything just use your foot as a brake if needed and ride without brakes.

Profanity

User is banned.
Brakes! More tricks can be done easier with brakes in my opinion. Also, it's safer.

Norway

User is banned.
I've had my brakes off for close to a year now and I've found that my riding style has changed dramatically. I find that brakes are often an accessory rather than a tool while in a park environment, and because I spend the majority of my time in the park I simply removed them.

If brakeless what is your preferred stopping method?

I found that this is something that I've had to adjust to in the last year or so and is one of the biggest obstacles I've had to overcome thus far. Something I've recently picked up in the last six months is tire sliding. This method of speed adjustment allows me to fine toon my speed without having to put a foot on the tire or ground and ruin my shoes. I find that sliding is one of the most affective ways to slow down if executed correctly. I'd highly recommend you try it out if you are foreign to the concept.

Kasteen

Power member.
Well ive been riding brakeless for a year now, i have adapted very easily.
But im thinking about throwing them back on as i have been riding trails alot recently.

Color

I like the brakes, I don't particularly ride, just ride my nephews bike here and there. I'm shit, but it keeps me entertained when I'm too tired to skate. I like the brakes cause they make me stop when I feel like I'm going to die.

Edit: I also must say, I wish he didn't have a front brake. I'm a dumbass and that's the one I always use cause Yolo I guess, but one of these times I'm going to hurt myself. Haha

Norway

User is banned.
Kasteen said:
Well ive been riding brakeless for a year now, i have adapted very easily.
But im thinking about throwing them back on as i have been riding trails alot recently.

I had the exact same issue :p With brakes I could still ride trails with my friend because my bike was meant for dirt jumping and it had good brakes. Once I took off my brakes I converted it into more of a park/street focused bike. I now just use my dads mountain bike occasionally if I ever feel the need to ride trails but I definitely plan on getting another bike for dirt in the near future.

Ride

there really isn't a difference between street and trails tires but if your going to both i would recommend these tires - Click ME!