• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Benched 250 today!!

Atrain

Today in my weight lifting class we had to do a max on the bench. I put up 250, going for 255 on Wednesday. I am glad because it took me a while to get over the 245 hump as my muscles were beginning to hit that plateau effect.

This is a 90lb increase for me since October when I was only benching 160lbs.

How much are you benching?

Zangrefia

Onyx user!
Wow, that's really good. My max is like 150 at the moment, started working out two weeks ago xD.

Atrain

Nice. Just don't overwork it. If you do, you'll end up with fluids building up in your elbow. Also, work more on your tricepts than your bicepts. It will help you bench more.

Zangrefia

Onyx user!
Thanks for the advice. I try not to overwork it because I'm scared of pulling some shit :3

Atrain

Trust me, you will know if you are pulling something. It will feel like a burning sensation in your shoulder then it will sting. Then if you keep going it'll feel like a knife cutting you or you'll feel a pop and thats how you know you tore something.

I have a partially torn labrum in my right shoulder but its not sever enough for surgery.

Atrain

It is believe by health practitioners that between the ages of 14 and 18, one who is involved in athletics should be able to either bench their weight or a bit about if. Thats for if you do not work out on a constant basis.

I weigh about 195lbs and am putting up 250 but I work out every other day.

Well i mean you got to look at it like this. For people of my size to gain 5 pounds its like someone of pretty good size trying to put on 25 pounds. So our muscles grow a lot slower then most people

Atrain

If you lift on a constant basis, you'll feel as if no progress is being made for the first two weeks or so, and after that you'll feel the benefits..

Anyone at any weight can build muscle.

My lacrosse teammate has been lifting with me and doing the same workout I am doing. He weighs 135lbs and is now benching 210lbs.

Atrain

What workout plan do they have you on?

Right now what I do every day is this

15 reps x 135lbs bench press
15 reps x 15lb dumbell press
15 reps x 15lb tricept overhead press
25 push ups

Then I go through this 5 times over the course of an hour and a half (thats how long the class is)

And if I have time, I do what is called a bicept burnout.

Put 3 x 10lb weights on each end of the bench press bar, don't put any clamps on the end.

Rep that 10 times, hold it in the air for 10 seconds, have someone on each side of the bar. After you hold it in the air for 10 seconds have them remove 1 of the 10lb weights.

Do another 10 reps, 10 seconds, and removal of 1 weight.

Do this until you are reping just the bar with no weights.
Then put on a 25lb weight on each end and rep it until you can no longer do it.

Trust me, it is a lot harder than it sounds.

Zangrefia

Onyx user!
@Atrain ours is sort of like that, only like 3x10 reps of 50% of what we're capable of for benching and presses.

Atrain

Oh. Thats to build muscle stamina, but if you don't press your limits a tad or do around 75/80% of what you're capable of lifting, the improvements are not going to be as noticeable.

we have 10 stations we have to get done in 45min

PVC pipes full of water and climb bleachers with them
dots for feetwork
ropes for feetwork and box jumps
flip a big ass tire over as many times you can in the station time limit
swing a sledge hammer and hit a tire as many times as you want
Bench Press
Incline Press
Power Clean
Squat
Mat Drills

Reaperrr

Onyx user!
I skipped max out week :3 (this week) going back next week.

WetRain

Reaperrr said:
I skipped max out week :3 (this week) going back next week.

Make sure you set a higher goal each time. Enjoy the little achievements, meaning that you shouldnt set your standards to high

Atrain

WetRain said:
Make sure you set a higher goal each time. Enjoy the little achievements, meaning that you shouldnt set your standards to high

This, I generally go for a 5lb increase at a time unless I know I can get the weight up. In that case I go up by 10lbs.

Cridential

Onyx user!
Atrain said:
Today in my weight lifting class we had to do a max on the bench. I put up 250, going for 255 on Wednesday. I am glad because it took me a while to get over the 245 hump as my muscles were beginning to hit that plateau effect.

This is a 90lb increase for me since October when I was only benching 160lbs.

How much are you benching?
good job thats big improvement :) i cant bench for shit lol

CFO

User is banned.
Dude nice! You're an animal! I'm at 165, that's only because I have been bed ridden for two months until now lol.