• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Applying image tutorial

Echoes

What you'll need for this tutorial:
  • Adobe Photoshop
  • Brain
  • Work in progress on a canvas

Difficulty level: Easy

Step one: Look over to your Layers window (if not visible click Window > Layers, or F7.
Select the farthest top layer on your layers window, my layer furthest to the top is "Vibrance 1".
Now you need to create a new layer by clicking the "Create a new layer" button (Hotkey: Shift+Ctrl+N).

di-5PAI.png

Step two: With your newly created layer selected click "Image" and "Apply Image..." (Hotkey: (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+E) then select "OK".
Do NOT mess with any of the preset settings!

di-7YYK.png

Notice: Now you should notice in the layer you created should be filled with whatever was inside of the canvas.
What actually just happened is PhotoShop basically merges all of your layers together and places it in one layer so that you don't have to flip back from layer to layer to apply filters to them.

What you're left with:
As you can tell my newly added layer which we applied the image to is "Layer 24".
You should be able to notice that you correctly applied the image onto the new layer by looking at that layers' thumbnail.
di-BUT1.png

A final note: Whenever you apply an image into a new layer, you keep all of your layers.
This is why you apply image layers instead of merging them so that you still have a backup incase if you ruin your applied image layer (and trust me, you will).

Q&A (Questions and answers):

Why did you create such a simple tutorial?

I made such a simple tutorial because I'm sure that some people don't know about this, and I'm sure even advanced users might have learned something from viewing this.

Credits:
+ad.Vanquish for writing and providing the pictures.
Provenance for providing me with his glorious Teemo.PSD for the use of this tutorial.

Wreck

Nice and simple for people that are new to the program.
Thanks for informing the members!

Echoes

Wreck said:

Even a few of my more advanced graphic buddies learned something from reading this, so it isn't just for newer followers, but that's what I really focused on.
Thanks for the thanks, and thank you, thank thank thanks. Thanks.

Wreck

Echoes said:
Wreck said:

Even a few of my more advanced graphic buddies learned something from reading this, so it isn't just for newer followers, but that's what I really focused on.
Thanks for the thanks, and thank you, thank thank thanks. Thanks.

No problem.
I personally can't wait to see more of your tutorials.

sidorak95

This also can be used if you want to copy part of the image and paste it somewhere else, (ex. text) or for lighting effects, etc.

Echoes

sidorak95 said:
This also can be used if you want to copy part of the image and paste it somewhere else, (ex. text) or for lighting effects, etc.

Definitely, clip masking is a very common thing to do with applied image layers, and I do it in some of my pieces when needed to. :D