• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

50 Things every graphic Designer should know

Shock

Onyx user!
Some of these really make me happy like my Favorite

44- if you’re going to fail, fail well
1- you are not the first.
2- there is always someone better.
3- success is not a finite resource.
4- you cannot score without a goal.
5- starting anything requires energy.
6- the path to work is easier than you think.
7- have a positive self-image.
8- create a clean and simple website.
9- curate your work.
10- listen to your instincts.
11- make your work easy to see
12- hand-write addresses
13- time is precious: get to the point
14- never take an unpaid internship
15- do as many internships as you can stand
16- don’t waste your internship
17- make friends with a printer
18- find your local d.i.y. store and pound shop
19- be patient
20- ask questions
21- ask for opportunities
22- seek criticism, not praise
23- make friends, not enemies
24- news travels fast
25- don’t get drunk at professional events
26- network
27- dress smart, look business like
28- never work for free
29- negotiate
30- read contracts
31- make your invoice stand out
32- there’s no such thing as a bad job
33- there’s no such thing as a bad client
34- embrace limitations
35- the environment is not a limitation
36- boring problems lead to boring solutions
37- new ideas are always ‘stupid’
38- do not underestimate self-initiated work
39- justify your decisions
40- show sketches, not polished ideas
41- work with the client, not against them
42- don’t always take no for an answer
43- pick your battles
44- if you’re going to fail, fail well
45- be an auteur
46- take responsibility for failure
47- share your ideas
48- get out of the studio
49- awards are nice, but not vital
50- don’t take yourself too seriously

InLifeThrill

this thing, is everywhere. on every forum seriously!

Krome

This literally sounds a guide to life itself lol.

There things I agree with and disagree with.

IMPORTANT!!!!:
24- news travels fast - Having one good customer wont tell anyone, giving lots of trouble to 1 customer they will tell 10.

Silly:
25- don’t get drunk at professional events - This is just straight dumb, its PROFESSIONAL. There is nothing worse then someone puking and stumbling on to people. Try to refrain from drinking to much alcohol.

Disagree:
Like #28: never work for free - I believe this way you can learn to interact with future customers and get a sense of what you will do in the future. I do free graphics all the time to improve my skill for other potential jobs.
6- the path to work is easier than you think. - Yes and no. At the beginning it will be difficult and you will always have obstacles as a designer because there is always many others in the same field as you. Work HARD to be where you want to be so its easier later on!
10- listen to your instincts. - I only disagree with this is because during a job its your duty is to listen to the customers desire and put a side your own. You can always make suggestions but the customer is always above you.
14- never take an unpaid internship - Why? Learning from people in the field is the BEST you can do. You can learn shit they don't teach you in school. Of-course you shouldn't be stuck in the internship forever. So it really shouldn't matter in the beginning.
17- make friends with a printer - LOL, make friends with the 300 DPI and cmyk your printer will thank you for it :)

Agree:
2- there is always someone better. - Of-course, this should give you a sense of where you want to be and where you currently are.
4- you cannot score without a goal. - Graphic designing is a process, meaning you need to make time to do it on a regular bases to get better. which leads to my response on #28.
5- starting anything requires energy. - Practice, you are bound to get better and better each time.
8- create a clean and simple website. - Is this for your portfolio? If so then ya. I learned this from my Taekwondo Sensei Jack. He told us after every practice he would tell us a story there is this one story about a pizza he would say "The worlds best pizza in a dirty trash can and just a normal pizza nicely put in a box, fresh and steaming hot. Would you rather eat from a trash can or eat a pizza in a nice box." No one likes to eat from a trash can...
9- curate your work. - presentation is everything!
11- make your work easy to see - #9 says it all. My design class teacher one time gave you a flat 0 because he said it was hard to see the text. You bet your sweet cheeks I didn't make that mistake in his class ever again haha.
13- time is precious: get to the point - perfect.
16- don’t waste your internship - Learning on the job is priceless.
18- find your local d.i.y. store and pound shop - Always good to know as a designer a good place to get supplies.
19- be patient - Practice and practice it can take days or even months just don't give-up.
20- ask questions - Its always good to be curios and to learn from others.
21- ask for opportunities - Opportunities wont come unless you grab it by its balls and take charge.
22- seek criticism, not praise - You can learn more from CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.
23- make friends, not enemies - having friends who can help you and you can help are always good to have around.
26- network - Knowing people in the business will help you ALOT. Which goes back to #23 and #24
27- dress smart, look business like - Looks are a very real way of employer and regular every day people will judge you open first glance.
29- negotiate - Best way is to say "Whats your budget." Its a miracle phrase

Confused:
44- if you’re going to fail, fail well - Meaning don't do a half assed job because it sucks in the beginning?
1- you are not the first. - First to doing graphics?
3- success is not a finite resource. - I guess this means just because you are successful you can always do better am I right?
7- have a positive self-image. - Meaning be confident in yourself? I actually think if you don't like yourself chances are people will start to think the same way you are. Be confident in your work, however don't be so up tight you can't take advice from ANYONE.
12- hand-write addresses - what does this mean? Are we physically sending designs? If so I don't see a problem whether its printed or hand written, if you can read it it should be fine. Unless its more proper like idk a wedding then hand written would be bad.
15- do as many internships as you can stand - Kinda seems you are contradicting yourself.

Okay so I got really lazy I don't feel like giving anymore input on what I think haha.

Joseph

Nice post yet I feel like I have seen something like that before
Cool nevertheless

Awhile

Sorry too post but I really need too see if this @ is open and this is the most dead thread @age

Cred

Awhile said:
Sorry too post but I really need too see if this @ is open and this is the most dead thread @age

You do know there is a testing section and a place where you can search for members. Hint: the tab that says members

Justa

User is banned.
@Joker
They are 100% lying. I am the only owner of this account.
They are just trying to get me to swap or spook potential traders or buyers.
Do not be fooled.

I can't reply to you it might be because you keep deleting the pm?

Pradaa

Power member.
pretty vague

i dont see how this directly correlates to graphic design itself