• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Tips on staying safe online.

Painkiller

User is banned.
I've been doxed before and my family has been harassed over the phone by people I know online, and there are a lot of safety precautions I wish I took before this shit happened.

By following the below safety precautions, you can stay away from unwanted attention from cyberstalkers, hackers, and extorters.

1) Don't publicly state your Skype. Only talk to people on Skype that you feel comfortable with. Follow your gut, and don't be reckless. You can get Skype resolved, which gives the other person your IP, which can then be used to track you.

2) If you use Skype, don't be that guy that adds people recklessly just to act like you talk to a lot of people online. If someone sounds sketchy and is messaging you, just block them and do not respond. You don't want to deal with those kinds of people.

3) Make friends, not enemies. There are a lot of unpredictable, fucked up people on the internet that don't really have friends IRL. Those are the people you should look out for. It's best not to form a negative relationship with someone that can do a lot more than you can, hacking-wise.

4) Don't act like a weak target. If you're going to be the guy flexing his OG kik and shitty gamertag, don't act like a pussy. If you act submissive and let people push you around, I can guarantee that some keyboard warrior will extort you.

5) Don't click sketchy links, and don't download sketchy files. Whether you know it or not, you could be clicking a JDB or you could be downloading a RAT when you think you're downloading a gamertag checker.

6) Always have a reliable AV system. I use MalwareBytes, and it has never really failed me. There are many people on this site that can help you remove viruses manually. In that case, I recommend @Neutral , as he is a reliable and heavily experienced system operator.

7) Use Bitcoin. This may not seem like a tip to staying safe online, but using Bitcoin is a great way to stay anonymous. Having your PayPal email public can result in your account getting compromised, leading to having someone with your hard earned money. Your Bitcoin address provides you with an anonymous payment address that is pretty much impossible to hack unless you're using Coinbase (lol). Bitcoin isn't the most steady at the moment, unfortunately.

8) Be yourself. Don't act like a script kiddie hacker fag who flexes his dox page over twitter. No one really cares that much about that. You will literally just get swatted by someone that actually knows what they're doing.

Yuuki

This tutorial is very helpful. Hopefully you don't get extorted in 30 minutes like @Mike did. Use your tutorial wisely.

Painkiller

User is banned.
@Triad
@Beware

Thanks for the positive feedback. It took kind of while to write this one.

Korora

User is banned.
These are some pretty good tips you go here.

Another Tip:
Don't trust anyone.

Aurа

Malwarebytes isn't an Antivirus but an Antimalware. I suggest you to correct this information and install a real Antivirus.

Homie

Was going to take the piss, until I actually read this; and in fact it is very good and informative. Well done.