• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Text Animation [Basic Guide]

Chrisu

Dissociation's Basic Text Animation Guide​

Well, a lot of people have asked me how I did the animation in the text. It's really not that hard, once you see what I have done in this tutorial, you'll be able to do them no problem. It will be broken down into steps, with text and pictures for ease of understanding. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a visitor/private message or post on this thread. Let's get into it, shall we?

Step 1:
Create a new document, doesn't really matter what size but try not to make it anything extremely strange that it will look weird. When I do these types of signatures I usually do 600x200. If I need to make adjustments, I'll do that just to match what needs to be done.

Step 2:
Fill the background to match whatever site or whatever that it's going on. (I made this tutorial while I was on another forum, excuse the background.)

Now, get out your text tool and write whatever you want, you don't need a sub text, but in this tutorial I will be using one. I just wrote Hysteria X for the main text and Respect is earned, never given for the sub text.

It should look something like this:

dcbiejqjhc048m3xkd0x.png

Step 3:
This is a completely optional step and imagination step. You can get as creative as you want/need to fit how you want it. Use textures, clipping masks, etc. Have fun with it.

I'll just keep mine simple and add a stroke to is, about it. This isn't about how fancy I want it, just for a tutorial purpose.
Now that you have your text how you want it, you will need to do two things now. Add two new layers above each of your text layers.

Like so:
puk1wzysa1ewru82bx3t.png

Now get out your brush tool and pick a cool brush tip. I used a sparkle brush I got front DaFont. Pick a color and stroke it beside your text, bottom of your text to the top. Do that for both your layers for your texts.
After doing so, you will need to use a clipping mask. So right click your layer and select "Create clipping mask." This will make the stroke go inside the text layers.

Step 4:
Now it's time for your animation. This may sound like the complicated part, but really it's not. This is a very simple step. Go to your tool bar on the top of PS and click Window > Animation. You will notice an animation reel at the bottom of your document.

Click on your layer above your main text. After doing so click the new layer button in your animation reel.

Looks like this:
7n9qklgkc77bgnh1qx.png

Once you have your new layer made, click the layer above your main text layer and then click your move tool and use your arrow keys to drag the layer through your text, until it goes right to the end of it.

Once it's at the end, you will need to click the "Tweens animation frames" button in your animation reel section. (Make sure you made your layer go through your text before you do this, or it won't work correctly.)

The button in the red is it:
4icrs574db29sk0mjyge.png

It will open a window, type in 17 frames. It will now create the frames. Now you need to edit the speed of each frame. On the frames, there is a little drop arrow where it lets you select the speed of the frame. Click the first one and set it to about 1 second. Now hold CTRL and click all the other frames, on the speed of the frames, select 0.15 for the speed. (You can do that by clicking the "other" option.)

Now, if you have sub text, do the same thing. Click your layer above your sub text layer, click new frame in the animation reel, drag it across, use the tween frames button again and set the same times. It will now go through your whole text.

If you've done all the steps correctly, you will have something like this. This is my final, simple result.

ke8mvstw9n403co4oobj.gif

You can play around with it, etc to fit how you want.

To save it for animation just go to File > Save for Web and Devices.

Hope this tutorial helped some people, if you got confused at any part of it, feel free to ask. I'm more than happy to help. This is just a simple technique I learned and thought I'd share with others, you can do MUCH more with it, this is just the slim basics.

Kyles

User is banned.
Vey nice and detailed tutorial, sir.