• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Techno's SUPER EASY SIG TUT

Techno

User is banned.
NOTE THREAD WILL BE ORGANIZED WHEN I GET HOME I WROTE THIS IN UNIVERSITY AND HAVE WORK IN AN HOUR:

Introduction
Well, since my thread is being pretty "popular" now I have decided to write a quick tutorial on how to do a basic chalk smudge signature. So let's get started.

Before we begin
Make sure you have Photoshop CS3 - CS6, it will work for any of these photoshop versions.

The Starting

Step 1:
So.. you've opened up Photoshop GREAT! Now let's get started.
The first thing you have to do is open up a new document by pressing Ctrl + N or simply going to File -> New.

Make a document like this, 500x150px As shown in the picture below
1n93O

So now that you have a blank transparent box with the dimensions I listed great time to move onto step 2:

Step 2:
So, now is the time we want to find a render of a character or something you like (Preferably a game character as they are the best for this type of signature). There are many ways to find renders but the simplest way of finding one is simply "Googling" your character or even 'render' if you are unsure what you want.

For this example we will use a Link render that I have found HERE

Step 3:

Once you have saved that image onto your computer, drag that into photoshop. You will notice that the Image is way to big for your document. Press Ctrl + T to put it into Free transform mode. While holding shift resize it to your liking on the document.

For this example I have resized the Link render like this:
1n9g8

Duplicate this layer multiple times by pressing Ctrl + J.
Make sure you hide all of the duplicated Layers by delesecting the eye
1n9kE

Step 4:

Create a new layer by clicking this button
1n9mN
and drag that to the very bottom of your layer Pallete.

Before we start smudging we have to make the background which you will be smudging on.

Click and hold the paint bucket on the side till you can select "Gradient Tool" an make sure at the top of the screen your settings are like followed:

1n9oU

Step 5:

So you are on you empty background layer with your Render already resized overtop of it. Now it's time to select the main focus on the color (It can change in the next few steps)

Clicking on the white box located at the bottom left (
1n9sq
):
It opens up a color picker, now you can move your mouse over the render and select a color you would like (make sure it matches and is not some random color you pick.)

For this example we will use this:
1n9uV

Step 6:

Now that you have your you colors selected we use the gradient tool.

Go to the center of your Image on your background layer Click and drag the line to the bottom left of your Canvas and release as shown:
1n9zc

Now you should of ended up with a background similar to this:
1n9AF

The Smudging:
So you've accomplished the basic steps, now we get onto the so called "Tougher Stage"

Step 1 of Smudging:
Locate the Smudge tool
1n9Fx
If you cannot find it, under the gradient tool, one box lower click and hold till you see it.

Step two:
We are going to focus on chalk brush technique.
For your basic setting, make sure this is what it looks like as shown below. Make sure that you select the 36 block like looking brush.
1n9J3

Now we get into the more difficult settings of the brush.
So first off we have to Toggle the Brush panel
1n9Lq
It is located beside where you select what type of brush you would like as shown in the the first picture in step two.

After you have done that make sure you have these settings:
1n9Nk
1n9NZ

Step three:

Now we get into the real smudging.
Go back to you layer with your render (The visible one) and start smudging in one Direction. I usually go on an angle from the left side to the right.

Smudge till you find a result you like, this is what I turned out with.

1n9TW

Step four:

Now you unhide another Render Layer and select it. Now you softly start smudging the edges of it, and anywhere you feel it will be nice.

Mine turned out like this
1n9VS

Before you jump to conclusions I skipped a step, yes I know shocking right? But it is nothing big.

If you would like yours to look more sharpened like mine go to,
Filter - >> Sharpen and Click okay. Do this as many time to every layer that is visible as you like.

Now you should of turnd out with something that looks similar to this:

1na0r

Step five:

We are going to be messing around with Gradient Maps now. To create a gradient map, look in your layer Pallete till you find
1na1G

Click that and select Grandient Map, now we go back to the layer pallete and on look for where it says
1na4D
. Click on that and keep selecting modes untill you find one that looks reasonable, if you think it will look good try changing the opacity of it.

For our example I will be using: Subtract at 100% Opacity:
1na6w

You can repeat this step 2-3 times depending on what you would like, don't be afraid of changing the gradient color.

For our example I will not be doing more then 1.

Step six:
Add a new layer again, and make sure it is at the top. We are doing lighting. Go back to your color picker and make sure it is white.

Now go to your brush tool and make sure the settings at the top look like this:
1na9W

Select the layer you created go to a place and make sure only part of the circle is on your Canvas and click one.
You should get a result similar to this:
1nac7

That is your focal point and lighting for the signature.

Step 8:
Use the text tool with the font you would like and put it on the signature.

1nadH

Step 9: Border (Optional)

If you would like a border follow these steps

On a new layer make using a rectangular tool
1naeD

Do something like this then
1nafx

Now when you press "V" Right click that box and fill it with black.

Duplicate the layer and drag it to the bottom...

10: You are done. Save the Image File >> Save >>
Make sure you save it as a PSD and PNG.

This should be your result (Without the grey bbackground)
1nah9

TUTORIAL BY: Techno

Bulbasir

RE: Techno's Quick Sig Guide

Nice and simple tutorial, should help people get a good start on their graphics adventure ;)

Ohm

Power member.
This is a very good tutorial.

I will try this.

Ellen

User is banned.
Very nice tutorial man, even though I know how to do this I appreciate you taking the time to do it

Techno

User is banned.
If something is unclear, let me know and I will assist you!

Carnage

Power member.
Great tutorial bro you truly are a skilled designer! Keep it up.

Techno

User is banned.
Paranormal said:
Great tutorial bro you truly are a skilled designer! Keep it up.

Thanks for the comments, but I'm honestly not that skilled haha.

Guzzie.

User is banned.
you are actually really good at gfx dude. how have i never heard of you o.o

Techno

User is banned.
fat fukka said:
you are actually really good at gfx dude. how have i never heard of you o.o

I only do GFX in bursts, never a stable thing. I'm studying law and helping my dad run a business.

Although I might make it a permanent hobby.

Slacker

User is banned.
Reading this tut tomorrow. Going to be a GRAPHIX BOSS like techno =) thanks again for the tv experience, hopefullyi can use what i learned there with this to make something sick as fuck when im ready =)

Slacker

User is banned.
I didn't follow this method to a t, but did take some of your advice from yesterday, check it out =)
Nkc.png

Vagaina

Onyx user!
This tut is amazing.
as soon as I install Photoshop again then I will definite be on it.

EvoL

Appreciate the tut Techno, I've been looking to get into Gfx for a while this should help a lot