• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Suicide

Xypher

Is it selfish for the one killing themselves or is it selfless? Is it selfish to want the person to not die? What are you opinions on it?

Knight_mybb_import2516

Well if you want to look at it from a legal point of view; their bodies are their own property. Emotionally it is a bit selfish considering the impact on the ones around the victim. I believe that it isn't selfish to want the person to survive, thats compassion.

Doing so knowing the sorrow and troubles of those who love them, I just don't understand how you could do such a thing. No matter how hard your life gets, at least you have one? In my opinion it is in a way selfish to commit suicide as your talking away yourself from everyone because of your problems, instead of trying to work through it. But to not want someone to die is not, as you're doing it for them, and not to gain for themselves. Unless you consider them having that person alive a selfish act to keep someone with them.

Xypher

Knight said:
Well if you want to look at it from a legal point of view; their bodies are their own property. Emotionally it is a bit selfish considering the impact on the ones around the victim. I believe that it isn't selfish to want the person to survive, thats compassion.

It may be out of compassion, but it is also unintentionally selfish, or more so, misunderstood. Yes there are people who are suicidal over small things where it, in my opinion, isn't worth it. Then there are people who have had one horrid thing after another happen and it ruins their life to the point that they can't do well in school/work, they become socially inept, they are constantly depressed with nothing able to cheer them up. Sure there might be that one person that could, but they need to connect to them, which socially, they cannot. At that point, asking them to live is like asking someone to, daily, put a bullet into themselves in a non lethal spot.