• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Stephen Hawking Sais " God Doesn't Exist "

Well, i was thinking about beliefs, and i came around to the thought of .. hmm, Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc isn't real.. Is God? What if he was once just a fairy tale like the rest of them? Just a bed-time story to tell when people were younger. Obviously 'Jesus' got pinned to the steak, but was anyone alive 3000 years ago to witness this? What if it's just like the above? It's just a state of opinion. Opinionize!

God did not create the universe, the man who is arguably Britain's most famous living scientist says in a forthcoming book.

In the new work, The Grand Design, Professor Stephen Hawking argues that the Big Bang, rather than occurring following the intervention of a divine being, was inevitable due to the law of gravity.

In his 1988 book, A Brief History of Time, Hawking had seemed to accept the role of God in the creation of the universe. But in the new text, co-written with American physicist Leonard Mlodinow, he said new theories showed a creator is "not necessary".

The Grand Design, an extract of which appears in the Times today, sets out to contest Sir Isaac Newton's belief that the universe must have been designed by God as it could not have been created out of chaos.

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing," he writes. "Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist.

"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."

In the forthcoming book, published on 9 September, Hawking says that M-theory, a form of string theory, will achieve this goal: "M-theory is the unified theory Einstein was hoping to find," he theorises.

"The fact that we human beings – who are ourselves mere collections of fundamental particles of nature – have been able to come this close to an understanding of the laws governing us and our universe is a great triumph."

Hawking says the first blow to Newton's belief that the universe could not have arisen from chaos was the observation in 1992 of a planet orbiting a star other than our Sun. "That makes the coincidences of our planetary conditions – the single sun, the lucky combination of Earth-sun distance and solar mass – far less remarkable, and far less compelling as evidence that the Earth was carefully designed just to please us human beings," he writes.

Hawking had previously appeared to accept the role of God in the creation of the universe. Writing in his bestseller A Brief History Of Time in 1988, he said: "If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason – for then we should know the mind of God."

Hawking resigned as Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge University last year after 30 years in the position.

Source - http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/s...ng-creator

Shablo5

Looks like it'll be a good read.

I don't debate religion as I myself am not religious. I think it just causes problems to debate and discuss (For the most part) because people are too immature to understand others beliefs. But in the end after reading that small article, looks like it'd be a worthy pickup. Brain food, and I don't even like to read =P

lulzer

I personally don't believe in god much either.
I am more of a careless person or "Undecided" rather than atheist...

It's like if there is a god / devil and or heaven / hell cool, fin with me....

If there isn't oh well, at least I didn't waste my time praising something non-existant.

It's just a matter of opinion.
Stephen Hawking, like the rest of us, has his own opinion. But unlike the rest of the 'regular' human beings, ( Not referring to his disabilities ) he's a lot smarter than us, and states outrageous opinions as to how this world works. Though, some may agree, i personally do not. I believe in god just slightly, but not enough to pray, or act 'silly' by doing so.

Solidify

Proof of God's existence, as stated by the great theologian himself, St. Thomas Aquinas.

If everything is possible not to be, then at one time there could have been nothing in existence. Now if this were true, even now there would be nothing in existence, because that which does not exist only begins to exist by something already existing. Therefore, if at one time nothing was in existence, it would have been impossible for anything to have begun to exist; and thus even now nothing would be in existence — which is absurd. Therefore, not all beings are merely possible, but there must exist something the existence of which is necessary. But every necessary thing either has its necessity caused by another, or not. Now it is impossible to go on to infinity in necessary things which have their necessity caused by another, as has been already proved in regard to efficient causes. Therefore we cannot but postulate the existence of some being having of itself its own necessity, and not receiving it from another, but rather causing in others their necessity. This all men speak of as God.

Reaperrr

Onyx user!
Until I die I will NOT know if there is a God so :) Time will come? I mean I have grown up in a church environment but I need proof to believe in something, it's how my mind works.

KaNe

Onyx user!
I didn't fully read the article, just skimmed, but this is what I believe on this topic: I believe that there must have been a creator of something, then that evolved, and evolved until we had planets. Then bacteria formed on the planets, creating life. Which evolved into humans. To be honest, in the next 5000 years, we might not even be humans anymore, we could evolve into something else.

I am an atheist myself though. I don't believe in religion, I believe in science. But science can only go so far, planets could not develop on their own. (Well they could, but the dust that formed into planets, could not develop on thier own.)

Whatever I'm rambling at this point, lol.