• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Oliver's Gaming Rig 2012 - Build Blog

OliverE

Power member.
Oliver's Gaming Rig 2012 - Build Blog

PDrFg.png

So here is my build blog for the gaming rig I plan on building within the next month or so. I will be updating this post, each time with differnet parts to help split it all up.
If you have any questions about this build then please just send me a message. This can be done via PM, MSN, Skype or Email.

MSN: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]

Donate[/SIZE]]
If you could donate to help fund this build it would be great.
In return I am able to offer a few of the following services depending on the donation.
  • Graphics - Signitures, Logos etc
  • MyBB Theme Creation / Edits
  • Website Creation / Edits
Thankyou

Contents
Part 1: Selecting a budget #COMPLETE#
Part 2: Picking Components #COMPLETE#
Part 3: Purchasing Components #COMPLETE#
Part 4: Construction #IN PROGRESS#
Part 5: First Boot & Installing Windows
Part 6: Benchmarking
Part 7: Conclusion

Budget[/SIZE]]
Part 1 - Budget - 3rd May 2012
So my previous gaming rig cost me in the region of around £500-700 (I still have the reciept for my parts so ill fish that out sometime and update). Since then i've learnt not to hold back, if im going to build a gaming rig I might aswell build a good one. So this time my budget is going to be in the region of £800 - £1000 depending on how I collect my funds.

As I might have said a few times in the past, my mum has always told me to save money. So if I ever wanted to buy something, instead of going into my savings I would have to earn the money first. So basically ive been saving my earning (if thats not too complicated) for a little less than a month and ive got around the £420 mark. If anyone is wondering how I made this money then its mostly selling old stuff online aswell as money earny from my theme creation service.

So yer, thats my budget, which will have to cover all of my components covered in the next part of this blog.

Picking Components[/SIZE]]
Part 2 - Picking Components - 10th May 2012
Ok so here is the parts list for my build.

• Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE - £192
  • Processor: Intel i7 Ivy Bridge 3770K - £251
  • Graphics: NVidia GeForce GTX 670 - £309
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB - £78
  • PSU: Cosair Modular HX 850W - £121
  • Optical: Don't need one - £0
  • HDD: 500-750GB - £59/£79
  • SSD: 120GB Cosair Force - £106
  • Case: Corsair Graphite White - £137
  • TOTAL: £1,257

Buying Components
Part 3 - Buying Components - 7th August 2012
Just come back from Scan.co.uk with my bits. Had to change the graphics card from the MSI to the 2GB EVGA as they ran out of stock, but came with an extra year warranty.
Also got my brother a monitor so that he can still use the old PC. I also got Borderlands 2 with the GTX 670 and RedFraction for free.

Here's some photos, sold my camera to fund the new build so sorry for the poor quality. Click to enlarge

Building coming up in the next few days.

Thanks for reading

м¢ℓσνιη

Are you going to be building as for a gamer or as a video/creative maker?

OliverE

Power member.
Mainly gaming but I will end up doing a bit of everything on it.

OliverE

Power member.
Ok ive added a draft parts list :D

Current funds stand at around £550.

Factor8™

I like the specs! Although I have some recommendations.

Since this is a gaming rig, you will most likely need an optical drive. I'm sure some games aren't available for download on Steam.

Two, don't buy a TB hard drive, they fail very quickly and easily. Instead, just buy two 750GBs, oh and don't buy Western Digital. Hitachi or Seagate is the way to go.

OliverE

Power member.
Ive got a Optical driver which is why I havent it in the list, the list is more of a need to buy list.
I dont need the 1TB, ive got one in my current computer and have never had any issues.
Thanks

Ive heard alot of people talk about not getting a TB driver, whys that, whats wrong with them?

Factor8™

They're made very poorly, they fail very quickly. You'll have problems with the one you have, just give it a little while.

And PLEASE don't buy WD.

OliverE

Power member.
Had mine for a good 4 years now, cant say ive had an issue.
If you say so, ill get a differnet one.

How are the 1TB ones made poorly and the 750GBs not?

Factor8™

Companies have been making 750s for a while now, they've figured 'em out. The TBs are fairly new, plus, the manufacturers just try to get as much capacity as they fit into it in there. They don't care about quality.

OliverE

Power member.
Ok ive done some tweaking on my parts list and actually have some specific products in it now.
There are two builds, a higher spec pricey one and a less pricey and not as high spec option. Please could you let me know which one you think I should build?
Cheers.

м¢ℓσνιη

I would go with option 1, why because it has better specs then the second one.

OliverE

Power member.
Yer, it will probably take longer to complete as I have to find some extra cash for the second one :p

OliverE

Power member.
Just another update, still waiting on some $$$ but its my Birthday in 6 days so that shouldnt be a problem if you understand :p

OliverE

Power member.
Im ready to get my bits, will be ordering new desk & chair within the next week.

м¢ℓσνιη

Sweet sounds like a great plan. Good luck with it.

OliverE

Power member.
Sorry for the delay with this, had a few people ask whats happening.
Had so much work to do for the past few Months, ive had to delay the new build.
Going to Scan on Monday or Tuesday to get my bits, will update with pics then.

Factor8™

Oliver Evans said:
Sorry for the delay with this, had a few people ask whats happening.
Had so much work to do for the past few Months, ive had to delay the new build.
Going to Scan on Monday or Tuesday to get my bits, will update with pics then.

Can't wait to see!

OliverE

Power member.
Finished building today but PSU is faulty so going back tomorrow to return and replace.

Powered on for about .5 second and then powered off.
Went to a mates house to pinch his PC bits.
Changed CPU to try and flash the BIOS, still couldn't boot.
Then ripped everything out and refitted it all to make sure it wasn't and dodgy wiring, still same.
So it was basically left down to the PSU. Mate stripped down his PC to get at his PSU to test with mine. Booted up perfectly :)

I didnt install my DVD Drive today, I just wanted to see if I could make it past POST.
So tomorrow, get my PSU fitted, drive fitted and ill also be taking board out to fit the ASUS WifiGo chip (fancy)

Then it will be installation of Windows onto the SSD, then drivers and back to work I guess. :)

New PSU in, windows installed, drivers installed. Practically complete.