• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

[News] LimeWire Sued Again, This Time by the NMPA

With a federal judge ruling against LimeWire in a copyright infringement suit last month, it is almost down for the count. It is on the verge of being shut down as a result of that decision. The fatal blow also means that it will most likely be deprived of the ironic sense of relief that comes with being knocked out from a bout dominated entirely by the opponent. But wait! It has another bout lined up on its way to the grave. A group of music publishers sued LimeWire on Wednesday.

The fresh copyright infringement lawsuit was filed by the National Music Publishers' Association (NMPA) in US District Court for the Southern District of New York. The NMPA is composed of eight music companies, including EMI Music Publishing, Sony/ATV Music Publishing, Universal Music Publishing Group and Warner/Chappell.

The NMPA wants to be compensated at a rate of $150,000 per infringed song. NMPA's chief executive David Israelite told the New York Times, “we’re looking for more than cessation of infringement, we’re looking for damages for all of the infringement done over the years.” According to court documents, the plaintiffs in the first suit fear that damages may run into "hundreds of millions of dollars, or even billions."

NMPA = National Music Publishers' Association

Source: Maxium PC

I erased you post on accident Shiimi was trying to delete a different post so please re put what you said. Sorry for that.

Crazy Smurf™

Buddy_mybb_import10515

It's ok.
I think that there are too many viruses floating around on limewire and people should just buy the album to help support the artist. It's not that expensive and you have many choices for how to go about it. The biggest two being the physical cd or itunes if you don't feel like looking for the album in a store.

Crysis

Onyx user!
Damnnn, thats going to be a whole lot of money, that'd be like 17million from just what I've downloaded lmao

Guru2k7

Well even if Limewire comes to its demise, there are still quite a few P2P programs out there, or even maybe a usenet.

Pidgeot

Guru2k7 said:
Well even if Limewire comes to its demise, there are still quite a few P2P programs out there, or even maybe a usenet.

Yeah. Programs like Frostwire and stuff will take centre stage if they get shut down.

Techno

User is banned.
Lol, i coulda seen this a mile away :p, i also heard they are going to be trying there luck with other companies like limewire.

Nicco

Onyx user!
First of all, I doubt it will be shut down.
It has been sued....I don't know how many times but none of those came through with anything.
Secondly, if somehow it does get shut down, there's, as Guru said, many more P2P programs out there.

Techno

User is banned.
Nick. said:
First of all, I doubt it will be shut down.
It has been sued....I don't know how many times but none of those came through with anything.
Secondly, if somehow it does get shut down, there's, as Guru said, many more P2P programs out there.

Who knows i hope it doesnt go down that's my main source of music

Nicco

Onyx user!
Techno said:
Who knows i hope it doesnt go down that's my main source of music

My main source of music is Torrents.

LimeWire is getting worse and worse.

A lot of songs have a stupid and annoying 'Music, On Demand' in the middle of the song. Or a stupid beginning promoting some music website.

Torrents are legit. =)