• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

NASA's Juno Spacecraft To Enter Jupiter's Orbit On Independence Day

Patelpb

Onyx user!
Juno, NASA's $1.1 Billion dollar spacecraft, is set to enter Jupiter's orbit in 2 days. It's rather fitting that it will enter the orbit on the US's Independence day, I wouldn't put it past the guys at NASA to have planned for it to be like that (who am I kidding, that was entirely intentional).

For those of your wondering why this is important at all, it's the 2nd spacecraft to ever be put in orbit around Jupiter (the first being Galileo). It's also a hell of a lot closer to the planet than the last one, and it's equipped with instruments to help it understand what Jupiter 'looks' like on the inside. This, in turn, will tell us things about how Jupiter developed and how other planets like Jupiter in the rest of the universe may develop. It'll also provide us with dank photos and nice wallpapers in the years to come.

There are fears that the spacecraft will not survive Jupiter's radiation belt/magnetic field, but I'm optimistic. I hope it doesn't end up like Philae, the craft that landed on a comet and unfortunately landed in a shaded area, resulting in an inability to use its solar cells for power...

For more reading check out NASA's page: https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/main/index.html

Just thought it'd be awesome to share. I love almost every development that happens in the space sector. :)