• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Liberty-Vaded

Adomphp

Last week, some six dozen people, invited guests, interested users, and team members gathered in New York City’s Times Square to talk phpBB.

I’ll steal one of Douglas’s moments of zen from his concluding talk. He posed the question Why are you here?, and received responses such as the following:
- To dedicate some time to working on phpBB
- To meet the people with whom I work on a daily basis
- To reconnect with the community after a lengthy absence
(The complete set will be available in a few days when video of the talks is published)

One of my favorite stories came from a gentleman whose name I’ve forgotten who had used phpBB several years ago. When he heard that phpBB was looking at Symfony2 for the backbone of phpBB4, he decided to check phpBB out again.

In other ways, a personal gathering is a nice way to make decisions. From my (development) point of view, it was great to review an old bug, write a patch, and get feedback from five people in five minutes. Other team members probably have other examples to share.

A fair majority of the time was spent in informal gathering, whether at the capstone social event at Thalia (the menu is definitely worth a try) or in the hotel conference room working on our own little projects.
In the end, we ended up with a better idea of what everyone else is working on, a better understanding of Symfony and Doctrine (with multiple talks devoted to them), and new ideas created during conversation.

I’d be remiss without sending a kudo to Marshalrusty (a.k.a Yuriy Rusko) for taking care of the preliminary setup and planning.

Continue Reading...