• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

[Info] Search Engines

Minus-Zero

Info on :
Search Engines

The internet is growing with it are the search engines. Search engines are sites like; Google, Bing and Yahoo. These are usually what I will tell you to use to find an answer.

Example:
Person1: What is a virus?

Me: Google "Virus"

What a search engine does is as follows;

-Scan the internet (Spidering)
-Index words: Location of words and what the words were
-Allow user to look for words or combination of words found in that index

Spidering

Before you can actually get your results the search engine must find it. It finds it using a thing called "Spiders". All it does is list words found on that particular website. The process is also known as "Web Crawling".

The spider will always look at the most popular sites first. Spider will index the words on the page and follow every link on the website.

It will take "notes" of words that are in the meta-tags, titles and subtitles. This allows users to get the best results for their search!

Index Creating!

Once the spiders find enough information/results the search engine must make that data useful!

Well how does it decide whats the best results? Well the search engine might "rate" the words on the web page. This is how you get your relevant results.

While an index's whole point is to find the information as quickly as possible. If you want to create an index there are many ways. The simplest way but the most inefficient is using a SQL database. ( I will create tutorials on using MySQL) Since your adding billions of entries the database may run into some problems. A very effective way of building one is using hash tables (Also will be covered later on). When you use hashing, there is a formula that is used. This formula attaches a numerical value to each word. It then distributes the entries across a number of divisions.

I WILL FINISH THIS Eventually!
Will be adding pictures which I make and more info!