• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

How were you influenced?

Solidify

I'm going to discuss how socialization comes about. In other words, the process of inheriting preferences. I'll be looking at where they come from and how some indicators are more influential when compared to others.

There are four agents of socialization. These are social arrangements which accomplish socialization. These are the four most common in our society, however, there can be and are others. They teach newcomers, mostly babies, kids, about the culture. They assign and develop a social identity and they inform people about appropriate behavior which is internalized as norms. That’s what these social arrangements accomplish which makes them, once again, the agents of socialization.

The family is the first and universally acclaimed as the most important of those agents wherein the early social identity is assigned or ascribed starting with your family name and probably including an ethnic and linguistic identity as well as perhaps a religious identity, a social class position, all kinds of key features of your entire social life are defined there, at the very beginning, in your family. Your most important decision on life may be your selection of your parents. What happens in the family is pretty permanent. What you learn, by way of socializing lessons, stays with you throughout life, very likely, either in original form or reactionary form and the basis of much of the teaching in the family is also embedded in a small emotional complex. There are lots of feelings in families; we hope revolving around something we would call ‘love’ but occasionally if not often, complicated by other strong feelings.

School, education, differs from the family most especially in that. It’s basis is no longer emotional but rather essentially rational. Its performance oriented; you do or you don’t do. You’re asked to do things and perform as well as perform at different levels as you are evaluated on that performance. It is not complicated by emotional feelings. Its judgment is based on explicit criteria in school. In addition, in school, we have ‘hidden curriculum’, things we learn outside of the program of studies or beside, perhaps, the program of studies. We learn things like punctuality, responsibility, honesty, gender behavior, as well as a whole range of things that we pick up, in and around school. They’re not part of the formal programs. Not geography, math or history. It’s what we learn aside from that.

The peer group is distinguished because one is being socialized by people of one’s own age, essentially, age group at least as well as the same status in society. The peer group is the one you’re most likely going to be strongly influenced by as a child and you’re very likely to share some keen social indices, very likely to be of similar ethnic and linguistic and so-called racial origins. Most of you probably when you left high school and arrived at college found that the mix of origins was profound compared to the high school –if you went to a public high school, the high school served a community around where you lived, so that the range of origins was narrower, like people that were born like you. The peer group is most important especially because it’s the same status, because it tends to have some similar origins but it’s a very powerful mechanism for especially those school years. From somewhere to primary school through to one’s mid-teens, most of you are probably pretty much past that intense peer period now. However, for that period, while you’re growing up, establishing yourself in the larger world, the peer group can be hugely important, pressuring you into doing things you might not otherwise do. It is hugely depending on the evaluation of others, your friends and your co-students. The ultimate negative version of that being bullying of course, at school, when you get picked on just being who you are or appearing the way you do or speaking the way you do or whatever the source may be, through to having a night nip of friends that you consider, probably at that age, the most important thing in your social life.

When I did a study a few years ago with first-semester-college-students that came right out of high school, we asked them “When you get up in the morning, why do you go to school? What’s your main reason for actually making the effort to get there?” And almost universally the answer was “To see my friends”. It’s all about social life. “What subjects are you taking?” we’d ask. “Oh, I forget”. –“Why’d you go to school?” –“To see my friends.” From that we can gather, social life is really big.

The peer group does, and I probably don’t have to remind you of this, serve as an alternate source of authority and instruction and modeling to one’s family and most especially and alternative to one’s parents. Unless you’re quite an unusual young adult, you will remember some incidents of your mid-teen years when the peer group was at logger-heads with your parents. Your parents wanted you to do one thing, you friends wanted you to do another and you got into trouble with one or both, trying to make your decision. It’s classic. You’re being drawn into the larger world, outside your family and into your peer group. Sometimes, the peer group is ultimately teaching the same lesson but in a different more speculative fashion.

The media, of course, serves to model behavior in the form of role models, literally; entertainment stars, athletic figures, etc. In a number of other ways, it demonstrates appropriate behavior, attitudes –everything from shows about the law to shows about relationships, shows about family, and because of the amount of time, which ten years ago was on the average about three and a half hours a day of television, add in all the other screen-time’s that you’d now enjoy, from your computer to your telephone, through your iPad or whatever else you’re using, the impact of the media is still kind of an unknown quantity. What we know is that it’s hugely important. Even some years ago, by the time a kid was eleven years old, they’d spent more time watching television than they’d have ever spent in school. What is the primary means of education a good questions and something we should pry ourselves on.

Now, ask yourself; how were you influenced?

Reaperrr

Onyx user!
I've been influenced by my mother and my grandparents. I never had a father growing up. My brothers/sister's dad lived with my mother for 7 years and then got divorced meaning I was young enough to call him Dad but he truly isn't. I gathered a lot of anger over the years mainly because of no father being there to support me. My dad is either in jail or in the a "clean" house trying to get off of drugs. He could have went to college for a baseball scholarship and started with the "wrong crowd" and is now on disability and is addicted to pills. This inspires me not to ruin my life because I am doing well as of now.

My mother has worked hard for all of her life trying to make it good for her children (3 other kids and I). I socially mix in with everyone. Lately I've strayed from the "gothic/emo" part but because they aren't who they use to be. I dress as a preppy/popular kid.

Media: I listen to a lot of different genres. Rap-Death metal-Rock-R&B-Dubstep. Many old songs (40-60s) I don't take any of the lyrics to heart so I'm not "white trash" or a wanna be thug.

Emotionally- Since I had no real father I have a hole in my heart where I've never felt the love for my Dad. I lost an aunt who was very very close to me in 2003-4. This as-well affected me in many ways. She took care of me and my mother, always checking up and taking me out for ice cream and the such.

School: I take education as if I don't like it I will get a lesser grade then expected. My mother expects the best of grades from me and I try (sometimes). I brought home a C- in Spanish 1 for I had not did a 200 point project. She grounded me and I'm actually still grounded but I didn't have to go-to school today. I plan on going to school for either Game Design (3D modeling or something along the lines) or Law Enforcement (Government or DEA)

Solidify

taren113 said:
I've been influenced by my mother and my grandparents. I never had a father growing up. My brothers/sister's dad lived with my mother for 7 years and then got divorced meaning I was young enough to call him Dad but he truly isn't. I gathered a lot of anger over the years mainly because of no father being there to support me. My dad is either in jail or in the a "clean" house trying to get off of drugs. He could have went to college for a baseball scholarship and started with the "wrong crowd" and is now on disability and is addicted to pills. This inspires me not to ruin my life because I am doing well as of now.

My mother has worked hard for all of her life trying to make it good for her children (3 other kids and I). I socially mix in with everyone. Lately I've strayed from the "gothic/emo" part but because they aren't who they use to be. I dress as a preppy/popular kid.

Media: I listen to a lot of different genres. Rap-Death metal-Rock-R&B-Dubstep. Many old songs (40-60s) I don't take any of the lyrics to heart so I'm not "white trash" or a wanna be thug.

Emotionally- Since I had no real father I have a hole in my heart where I've never felt the love for my Dad. I lost an aunt who was very very close to me in 2003-4. This as-well affected me in many ways. She took care of me and my mother, always checking up and taking me out for ice cream and the such.

School: I take education as if I don't like it I will get a lesser grade then expected. My mother expects the best of grades from me and I try (sometimes). I brought home a C- in Spanish 1 for I had not did a 200 point project. She grounded me and I'm actually still grounded but I didn't have to go-to school today. I plan on going to school for either Game Design (3D modeling or something along the lines) or Law Enforcement (Government or DEA)

For starters, good job for channeling your father's misfortune into doing better and not by following in his footsteps. Secondly, I'm sorry for your aunt. It's always tough to adjust after having lost someone that you feel so close with.

But I see a ticket out. Your aspiration for school is where you'll leave everything behind and amaze your family, especially your mother. Don't get caught up in the fun and games of high school. A lot of people misinterpret that school and your early years are when you force yourself to attain a good life for yourself. Once you've done that, that's when you let back and relax.

If you're looking to become a 3D designer, you might fancy our graphics section. They may be able to show you a thing or two you didn't already know.

Reaperrr

Onyx user!
Thanks Solidify.

I may go check it out. My problem is I don't have a computer to use for graphic designs unfortunately. I took the photo-shop class in my HS and i passed with like a 97. I am very interested into technology and my mother hates me being on my laptop 24/7 haha.

Solidify

taren113 said:
Thanks Solidify.

I may go check it out. My problem is I don't have a computer to use for graphic designs unfortunately. I took the photo-shop class in my HS and i passed with like a 97. I am very interested into technology and my mother hates me being on my laptop 24/7 haha.

In that case I wouldn't use your computer too often under her supervision. See if you can spend some more time in school.

Reaperrr

Onyx user!
I am going to strive to get into the NHS [National Honor Society]. Next year I plan on taking a Post Secondary [Going to a locale college for high-school and college credit]. If I don't then I will take a few more tech classes next year.

Thanks for being so interesting to talk to.

Solidify

taren113 said:
I am going to strive to get into the NHS [National Honor Society]. Next year I plan on taking a Post Secondary [Going to a locale college for high-school and college credit]. If I don't then I will take a few more tech classes next year.

Thanks for being so interesting to talk to.

It's always a pleasure.

Reaperrr

Onyx user!
I feel odd since no one else is on to post.

I can't believe I joined this site in June and never posted. Musta forgot about it. How busy is it after school hours?

Solidify

taren113 said:
I feel odd since no one else is on to post.

I can't believe I joined this site in June and never posted. Musta forgot about it. How busy is it after school hours?

Firstly, if you're going to reply to my topic, please make an effort to not digress off-topic.
Secondly, as much as I'd like to help you with that, I haven't been active on RG long enough to know the answer to that question.