• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

How to connect old hard drive?

alijayadv

i have an old 80gb hard drive.i got a new pc and i want to plug it in.the problem is my motherboard has only sata ports and they do not match my old hard drive.i managed to plug in the 4pin power cable for the hard drive but it has a white cap,the others like gfx,dvd drive have black caps.is there a difference between the caps?can i still use my old hard drive or do i throw it away?
thanks in advance

Philly

Power member.
alijayadv said:
i have an old 80gb hard drive.i got a new pc and i want to plug it in.the problem is my motherboard has only sata ports and they do not match my old hard drive.i managed to plug in the 4pin power cable for the hard drive but it has a white cap,the others like gfx,dvd drive have black caps.is there a difference between the caps?can i still use my old hard drive or do i throw it away?
thanks in advance

I can't really answer all of your question but I can say that if your old hard drive still works you can still use it. A matter a fact you can use them both at the same time if you wanted to.As for the caps I have no idea, I would have to see it to be able to help. Perhaps you can upload some pictures?

bishvabis

You need to either buy a hard drive interface card with an IDE socket on it or a USB hard drive caddy designed for IDE drives. The internal card will be faster than connecting through a USB port.

NiQue

Onyx user!
Most motherboards have a spare IDE socket. If you can find an IDE cable you can just plugin it in with that.