• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

How many moderators (&admins) should a forum have?

Clarkie

User is banned.
Hey,

Many forums give out staff positions to lots of people at the start but this is often a really silly thing to do. You don't need so many staff members that there are more members of staff then standard users. Each forum takes it's own view on this and I'm going to share my view with you.

I think that the number of mods/admins needed is based on the number of posts made per day on each forum. New forums are unlikely to have more than 20 posts made daily and for this you only need 1 administrator. When you start getting between 20-50 posts you should look at employing your first moderator. You should give each member of staff around 25 posts to moderate every day. This means as you expand to 50-75 posts daily you should be looking to get a second moderator.

From that point onwards you should always have more moderators than admins. In fact I have the opinion that you should have double the moderators to admins so if you have 1 admin and two mods you should employ another 2 mods before looking for another admin.

However you should have triple the number of active members then you should have moderators. This means that you aren't overstaffed.

Feel free to input your opinions now.
Clarkie

Samar

I agree with you to some extant aforum should have atleast 1mod for every 10 - 15 active members as not all the members need help every time they are active and they all also dont post at the same time. This what i feel but any opinions are welcomed.

wjack2010

Judging from forums I am a moderator at or I use I'd say 5 moderators for every 500 members so basically 100 members = 1 moderator.

Forums with 1000+ members should have 2-3 Admins.

Serenity

How many Moderators a forum should have, depends on how active the forum is. A forum should never have too many Moderators. My opinion on Administrators is that a forum should have maximum 2 Administrators. You know, a forum with 100 members doesn't need 5 Administrators..

Clarkie

User is banned.
wjack2010 said:
Judging from forums I am a moderator at or I use I'd say 5 moderators for every 500 members so basically 100 members = 1 moderator.

Forums with 1000+ members should have 2-3 Admins.

Not if those members aren't active though. Then your staff will have like 90% of the post count.

ford1001

I guess it depends on the member to post ratio, as more and more active members arrive, more posts will arrive, which then would require moderating. I chose about 50 posts per mod/admin to watch over