• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Ferrofluid Transportation

nhoJeNi

I've been considering this for a while, and I was just wondering what you here on Think Forums think about the possibility and real-world applications of ferrofluid being used for transportation purposes.

____________________________________________________​

A ferrofluid (compound of Latin ferrum, meaning iron, and fluid) is a liquid which becomes strongly magnetized in the presence of a magnetic field.
Ferrofluids are colloidal liquids made of nanoscale ferromagnetic, or ferrimagnetic, particles suspended in a carrier fluid- usually an organic solvent or water. Each tiny particle is thoroughly coated with a surfactant to inhibit clumping. Large ferromagnetic particles can be ripped out of the homogeneous colloidal mixture, forming a separate clump of magnetic dust when exposed to strong magnetic fields. The magnetic attraction of nanoparticles is weak enough that the surfactant's van der Waals repulsion is sufficient to prevent magnetic clumping or agglomeration. Ferrofluids usually do not retain magnetization in the absence of an externally applied field and thus are often classified as "superparamagnets" rather than ferromagnets.
-From Wikipedia. (See direct page: Ferrofluid)

My idea as to using ferrofluid for transportation purposes would be to place at the front end of an entity (the object you wanted to move) a hollow, thinly lined container filled with said substance. Then place the entity on a track, with electromagnets positions at specific distances from each other. To get the entity moving you'd simply turn on the electromagnet closest to it, and when the entity reached a certain point you'd turn on the next nearest magnet while turning off the first. Then just repeat these steps in order to get from point A to point B.
(The ferrofluid would pull the entity to the nearest magnet, and as this process continued, said entity would gain momentum.)

So to repeat my question: What do you here on Think Forums think about the possibility and real-world applications of ferrofluid being used for transportation purposes.

I would also very much appreciate constructive criticism and/or possible improvements to my idea. Purely negative "hate" comments will be ignored.

Epicc

I like the idea you have, however, the constant radiation that the electromagnetic emit will be very harmful to the surroundings. It would also harm your body if you are exposed to large magnetic fields, not to mention that being close to the electromagnets that drag the ferrofluid will probably harm you permanently if not killing you.

nhoJeNi

I see your point. :blush: Would you know of anyway to counteract the effects of the magnetic forces around the entity? Or possibly conduct the magnetic flux around the entity?

Epicc

I actually have no idea o__0
Pretty sure it's almost impossible though.

Dr. Hobo

I don't think I quite get what you mean, can you draw a little schematics or something?

Epicc

Dr.Hobo, basically he means that by having 2 super magnets, he can transport people between them using a fluid.

^
extremely tl:dr'ed version

Dr. Hobo

Epic said:
Dr.Hobo, basically he means that by having 2 super magnets, he can transport people between them using a fluid.

^
extremely tl:dr'ed version

Ah, that's stupid.

Assassin

Dr.hobo was it so hard to read the thread?
Anyway As Said Before It Would Probably Kill You...

Dr. Hobo

You're talking about turning magnets on and off, I assume electromagnets. You see electromagnets don't actually use the natural magnetic force as rare-earth magnets so why would anybody do this? It's basically a slow train as your ferrofluid would have resistants in form of friction and I don't think you'd be able to keep the magnets superconducting..