• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Asking For Help - Make It Easier

Chrisu

Table of contents
  • Introduction.
  • How to get started.
  • Sample template.
  • Do your part.
  • Conclusion.

Introduction
Day after day I always see members asking for help and in the end they either don't get help or get annoyed and give up. This thread should help members slightly more or at the very least guide them in the right direction of seeking help for their website efficiently and make everyone's lives much easier.
Please note this is just a few tips and hints that can help you help the people that want to help you (Fun word spin eh?)

How to get started
Now, there are many things that could be wrong with your site, this is true. If you don't even know where to start I strongly suggest doing the following:

1. If you don't tell the problem in full detail most of us will act like you are right the fuck out of it and likely not help you. Why you may ask? Because we have better things to do than trying to decipher the Da Vinci Code.

2. Provide screenshots of your problem. You can either use print screen on your keyboard, save it in paint and upload it or use a quick screen grabber. (If you don't know how to do this, you shouldn't be making a website, should you?)

3. Tell us what you did and didn't do. It's simple and saves time. If you explain what you actually tried to do then it makes it faster because we won't be giving you the same damn suggestions that you already tried, logical eh?

4. Be patient and don't get annoyed. If you do, well then you just will get stuck with your problem until you get it figured out on your own and that's no fun.

5. Search the interwebs for your answer. If you're going to be a webmaster, you can't always rely on other people to fix shit for you. Google is your friend and depending on your forum/website software I'm very sure (unless you're a cheap bitch and using free stuff) there is an official forum/site that offers support and already has a FAQ or something that may have your answer.

In additional to this, be sure to read threads on the site and stickies to see if they suggest any help as well.

6. Use proper English or something very close. Most people here are ENGLISH and this is an ENGLISH oriented site. If you don't make any sense, help is hopeless for you.

7. Fix it yourself is a good step. If you can really try to fix things yourself. It helps you learn and like I said, you can't always rely on others.

8. Make the thread title mature and professional because no one will really care too much when the title is "HELP!! MEE PLZZ" It just looks like you are out of your mind.

Those are some quick tips that will likely get shit done faster.

Sample template
Here is a quick little template you MAY use that I created. If you don't want to, that is fine. This is for your benefit not mine.
Code:
[b]Website URL:[/b]
[b]Software used:[/b]
[b]Problem occurring:[/b]
[b]What did you try to do to fix it?:[/b]
[b]How urgent is the problem?:[/b]
[b]Did you do any searching and try to fix it yourself?:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]

Conclusion
This thread was designed to help others out. That is it, you don't have to take my advice, I'm just suggesting these few easy steps to help YOU out in attempt to get your problems solved quicker.