• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

Why I Dropped Out of High School

Professor

Professor said:
Without reading the thread in its entirety, I believe it was a very narrow-minded thing of you to do.
Dropping out was the result of numerous excuses you made up, all of which you could satisfy on your own accord. Take the initiative to learn that stuff on your own and understand that college would have taught you everything you're interested in once you completed HS. It was very selfish of you to drop out, especially if you weren't the one paying for the education. The fact that you still don't have your GED is proof that you made the wrong decision and completing HS would've been the gateway to everything else you needed to learn. Although HS is, to a degree, irrelevant in regards to learning material, you'd be surprised as to how critical your HS experience is in solidifying a base structure to grow from.
So, yes HS doesn't teach you very many important things, but that's why all relevant jobs require higher education. A GED or less will get you exactly what you've got - a part-time job and a mediocre lifestyle. You've not done anything by dropping out but perhaps hindered your own progress.
I strongly disagree with what you chose to do, but I wish you the best.

Cann!bal said:
I talked about this in the OP.

"It was one of the best decisions I've ever made and I will never regret it."

Yeah, I am. I'm where I want to be, I'm more happy than ever and I'm enjoying my life. How isn't skyrocketing with success?

I have a voluntary part job, what about it?

If you did then point it out. I don't see anything to support your thoughts.

Your opinion is wrong and it's a shitty unsubstantiated one. You won't even back your statements up, so don't expect me to respect shit.

By definition, an opinion cannot be wrong. However, facts can be, such as your own 'facts' about the incompetence of the education system.
Sure, I'll point out the statements you fail to recognize.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"understand that college would have taught you everything you're interested in once you completed HS"[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I never said HS was higher education because obviously it isn't; you were the one that said that for whatever reason.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"The fact that you still don't have your GED is proof that you made the wrong decision and completing HS would've been the gateway to everything else you needed to learn"[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]You stated that you dropped out to pursue your GED, which you still don't have. Had you stayed in school, and assuming you weren't behind, you would have it by now.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Although HS is, to a degree, irrelevant in regards to learning material, you'd be surprised as to how critical your HS experience is in solidifying a base structure to grow from. [/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]What you take from high school are more life lessons than what you take materialistically. For example, your measurement of success is subpar at best. I don't give a shit if your ignorance continues to cloud your vision. On paper, you're a HS drop out with very little work experience and nothing to put on a resume aside from being a part-time volunteer hobbyist. No employer will be impressed by your decision and nobody gives a shit why you chose to drop out of highschool. You can consider me to be an asshole if you wish, but t[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]hat's just how life is. You'll see.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]You say my opinion is unsubstantiated and therefore 'wrong', but my opinion is the result of experience and factual information. I am not seeking your respect. It means nothing to me - it's useless. I have no patience for useless things.[/font]

You've made the mistake of trading long-term gateways of opportunity for short-term liberation from the education system, all because you wanted to throw a pity party since your priorities mean more than everybody elses. Sorry you didn't get to learn everything you wanted to in high school, but you missed the point of high school altogether. There's a bigger picture.

Cann!bal

Power member.
Professor said:
By definition, an opinion cannot be wrong. However, facts can be, such as your own 'facts' about the incompetence of the education system.
Sure, I'll point out the statements you fail to recognize.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"understand that college would have taught you everything you're interested in once you completed HS"[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I never said HS was higher education because obviously it isn't; you were the one that said that for whatever reason.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"The fact that you still don't have your GED is proof that you made the wrong decision and completing HS would've been the gateway to everything else you needed to learn"[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]You stated that you dropped out to pursue your GED, which you still don't have. Had you stayed in school, and assuming you weren't behind, you would have it by now.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Although HS is, to a degree, irrelevant in regards to learning material, you'd be surprised as to how critical your HS experience is in solidifying a base structure to grow from. [/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]What you take from high school are more life lessons than what you take materialistically. For example, your measurement of success is subpar at best. I don't give a shit if your ignorance continues to cloud your vision. On paper, you're a HS drop out with very little work experience and nothing to put on a resume aside from being a part-time volunteer hobbyist. No employer will be impressed by your decision and nobody gives a shit why you chose to drop out of highschool. You can consider me to be an asshole if you wish, but t[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]hat's just how life is. You'll see.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]You say my opinion is unsubstantiated and therefore 'wrong', but my opinion is the result of experience and factual information. I am not seeking your respect. It means nothing to me - it's useless. I have no patience for useless things.[/font]

You've made the mistake of trading long-term gateways of opportunity for short-term liberation from the education system, all because you wanted to throw a pity party since your priorities mean more than everybody elses. Sorry you didn't get to learn everything you wanted to in high school, but you missed the point of high school altogether. There's a bigger picture.

Really? We're gonna play some semantics game? An opinion can be wrong and stupid. "I think dropping out was a dumb idea." Yet my life is nothing but good? That's blatantly wrong and stupid at this point in my life.

Work on your English and communication skills, then. Not my fault you can't articulate yourself.

Yeah, I don't have it yet because of my state's laws. And no, that's not true, what are you talking about? If I stayed in school I wouldn't have my GED by now either. Do you know what GED's are?

What are you looking to get out of that statement? You're not the arbiter of how good somebody's grasp of success is. Why would I take your word on that at all? You're nobody. Getting a GED instead of a diploma doesn't destine you to flip burgers or live in a box outside. Everyone I've ever known with a GED is living a perfectly fine life. I personally know several who eventually got doctorate degrees. You're pandering to the status quo and to fear-mongering when you say that shit.

I didn't say that. I said it's wrong, shitty and unsubstantiated. That doesn't mean you're right. You clearly were looking for respect. You asked me not to tell you that you are wrong.

Like I said to somebody else previously, you can reinforce the status quo all you want because of your insecurities about money and your conventional ideas of success or some shit, but my life is awesome, in the real sense of awe. I feel liberated, I'm happy and I enjoy life. I don't need a high school diploma for my goals. My goals don't need fancy requirements of higher education. I'm on the pathway I want. That's success.

Mal

Cann!bal said:
Really? We're gonna play some semantics game? An opinion can be wrong and stupid. "I think dropping out was a dumb idea." Yet my life is nothing but good? That's blatantly wrong and stupid at this point in my life.

Work on your English and communication skills, then. Not my fault you can't articulate yourself.

Yeah, I don't have it yet because of my state's laws. And no, that's not true, what are you talking about? If I stayed in school I wouldn't have my GED by now either. Do you know what GED's are?

What are you looking to get out of that statement? You're not the arbiter of how good somebody's grasp of success is. Why would I take your word on that at all? You're nobody. Getting a GED instead of a diploma doesn't destine you to flip burgers or live in a box outside. Everyone I've ever known with a GED is living a perfectly fine life. I personally know several who eventually got doctorate degrees. You're pandering to the status quo and to fear-mongering when you say that shit.

I didn't say that. I said it's wrong, shitty and unsubstantiated. That doesn't mean you're right. You clearly were looking for respect. You asked me not to tell you that you are wrong.

Like I said to somebody else previously, you can reinforce the status quo all you want because of your insecurities about money and your conventional ideas of success or some shit, but my life is awesome, in the real sense of awe. I feel liberated, I'm happy and I enjoy life. I don't need a high school diploma for my goals. My goals don't need fancy requirements of higher education. I'm on the pathway I want. That's success.
Both of you are right in some way.

Success is measured differently by every person , if cannibals idea of success is liberation from high school and a part time job then in fact cannibal has reached success.

but in "society" or how most people see it High school is an obstacle we have to overcome to reach higher education which in return gets you a better paying job MOST OF THE TIME not all the time or guaranteed.

All i have to say is maybe 1 more year from high school wouldn't have been that bad and I feel you cannibal, I feel like i'm not learning anything but at the end my idea of success is having a big house and more materialistic things so I have to endure this shit lol

BUT hey at least were civil enough to make decisions without harming someone or yourself , no point in arguing when all of us have different views on what success is

Professor

Cann!bal said:

I'd like to digress. I apologize for offending you and scrutinizing your life. I have no right to pass judgment nor would I want the responsibility to do so. This should be a forum where we support each other rather than pick each other apart. All in all, remember that the only person that needs to be happy is yourself and I am glad you have found your happiness. My speculative thoughts hold no weight in the detriment or betterment of your personal decisions and there's no need for me to argue as though they do. I am no better than you and I hope that's not the impression I've made. I'm very argumentative which, in large part, is why I am in school to be a lawyer.

The original point I meant to make is one that can be summarized in the following quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson, 
"education is that which remains behind when all we have learned at school is forgotten"

All the best,

In addition; perhaps it is be argued that I subconsciously side with pro-education because I am spending a lot of amount of money on a higher education so I can pursue the life I want to live.

Just a thought.

Cann!bal

Power member.
Professor said:
I'd like to digress. I apologize for offending you and scrutinizing your life. I have no right to pass judgment nor would I want the responsibility to do so. This should be a forum where we support each other rather than pick each other apart. All in all, remember that the only person that needs to be happy is yourself and I am glad you have found your happiness. My speculative thoughts hold no weight in the detriment or betterment of your personal decisions and there's no need for me to argue as though they do. I am no better than you and I hope that's not the impression I've made. I'm very argumentative which, in large part, is why I am in school to be a lawyer.

The original point I meant to make is one that can be summarized in the following quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson, 
"education is that which remains behind when all we have learned at school is forgotten"

All the best,

In addition; perhaps it is be argued that I subconsciously side with pro-education because I am spending a lot of amount of money on a higher education so I can pursue the life I want to live.

Just a thought.

I'm glad you can empathize and all, however, I don't mind scrutiny long as it can be constructive and I don't think it's right to stop attempting to convey the points you've been trying to make without a mutually found conclusion. It still seems like you think dropping out can't be the right route for my life or anyone's really.

Mal said:
Both of you are right in some way.

Success is measured differently by every person , if cannibals idea of success is liberation from high school and a part time job then in fact cannibal has reached success.

but in "society" or how most people see it High school is an obstacle we have to overcome to reach higher education which in return gets you a better paying job MOST OF THE TIME not all the time or guaranteed.

All i have to say is maybe 1 more year from high school wouldn't have been that bad and I feel you cannibal, I feel like i'm not learning anything but at the end my idea of success is having a big house and more materialistic things so I have to endure this shit lol

BUT hey at least were civil enough to make decisions without harming someone or yourself , no point in arguing when all of us have different views on what success is
I left early Junior year, so two years essentially. And why should have I continued if that path took longer unnecessary routes to my goals? If you could attain your goals faster and better, who wouldn't take the fastest and best way? That's why I decided to leave high school, enjoy my life and be happy, get my GED before my graduating class, then go onto a plumbing career.

A life with a big house and plenty materialistic possessions doesn't require a high school diploma. It can be attained just as easily, if not more, I would say. GED's aren't worthless: that's nonsense created by fear-mongers. People seem to forget you can get into college with a GED. They are the legal equivalent to a diploma. Once you have your degree, employers aren't going to pay attention to your diploma or GED.

Mal

Cann!bal said:
I'm glad you can empathize and all, however, I don't mind scrutiny long as it can be constructive and I don't think it's right to stop attempting to convey the points you've been trying to make without a mutually found conclusion. It still seems like you think dropping out can't be the right route for my life or anyone's really.

I left early Junior year, so two years essentially. And why should have I continued if that path took longer unnecessary routes to my goals? If you could attain your goals faster and better, who wouldn't take the fastest and best way? That's why I decided to leave high school, enjoy my life and be happy, get my GED before my graduating class, then go onto a plumbing career.

A life with a big house and plenty materialistic possessions doesn't require a high school diploma. It can be attained just as easily, if not more, I would say. GED's aren't worthless: that's nonsense created by fear-mongers. People seem to forget you can get into college with a GED. They are the legal equivalent to a diploma. Once you have your degree, employers aren't going to pay attention to your diploma or GED.

I completely agree with your first paragraph , for you it would be beneficial.

As for you second statement , id rather save myself the problems with dropping out when i only have a couple months left lol

Good luck with your plumber career at least you have a clear plan and just didn't drop out for the fuck of it

Professor

Cann!bal said:
On a conceptual level, correct. With the direction in which today's society is moving, you're effectively choosing to walk down a significantly more difficult path. With increased job competition due to increases in technology, more educated persons, financial opportunities and so on, education is becoming more and more vital. It is becoming increasingly difficult to get a job without a college degree, and even then it's difficult. By choosing to revoke your privilege to education, it's selfish in retrospect when considering the many individuals deprived of the opportunity you've effectively thrown a middle-finger to.

Here's an interesting article for statistic reference:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox...raduate_vs_high_school_graduate_salaries.html

By the way; yes, we understand that a GED is what you receive when you graduate high school. I'm not sure why you believe us to be ignorant of that.

Cann!bal

Power member.
Professor said:
On a conceptual level, correct. With the direction in which today's society is moving, you're effectively choosing to walk down a significantly more difficult path. With increased job competition due to increases in technology, more educated persons, financial opportunities and so on, education is becoming more and more vital. It is becoming increasingly difficult to get a job without a college degree, and even then it's difficult. By choosing to revoke your privilege to education, it's selfish in retrospect when considering the many individuals deprived of the opportunity you've effectively thrown a middle-finger to.

Here's an interesting article for statistic reference:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox...raduate_vs_high_school_graduate_salaries.html

By the way; yes, we understand that a GED is what you receive when you graduate high school. I'm not sure why you believe us to be ignorant of that.

I think you make a fair point for most people, however, I don't require more money than I can count. I'm a minimalist and I have a thorough financial plan I've been working on for a year or two with friends and family. And I plan on going into plumbing which by my understanding isn't saturated with college degrees.

It's selfish you to want to horde money while people starve. You see, everything is innately selfish from that to simply walking. This is moot.

That's not what it is. A GED isn't what you receive when you graduate high school. A diploma is. A GED is the legal equivalent of a diploma that can be attained by taking the GED test.

Cann!bal

Power member.
Bomb said:
There are classes about sex: Sex Ed
There are classes about pain & suffering: Weightlifting
I understand there are, however, that doesn't mean these classes are universal and that doesn't mean it's being taught the most ideal way, like being taught abstinence and the failure to address emotional pain and suffering. And everything else I said you didn't mention a class for. And there's plenty more I didn't mention that should be addressed in every school like first aid and what our rights are.

Bomb

User is banned.
Cann!bal said:
I understand there are, however, that doesn't mean these classes are universal and that doesn't mean it's being taught the most ideal way, like being taught abstinence and the failure to address emotional pain and suffering. And everything else I said you didn't mention a class for. And there's plenty more I didn't mention that should be addressed in every school like first aid and what our rights are.
I honestly couldn't agree more with what you've said in the Thread and the above post. This is the first time I actually have the same views as you

jason

You cannot be taught to love someone. 

You cannot be taught to deal with, or understand the concept of 'death'. The death of someone you truly love is heart-breaking. It will tear you  to pieces. We cannot be taught to cope with this, death will always be a mysterious 

You cannot be taught friendship, nor can you be taught how to deal with pain and suffering.

These are characteristics that we must build on our own to ultimately better ourselves as individuals. Expecting someone to teach us these traits is laughable. We are humans, and some topics are just not plausible to teach, and we must naturally teach ourselves through trial and error.

Condemner

Sorry but it seems to me like you're taking everything people say very defensively and reflecting everything.  Perhaps a bit uneasy with your choice? But it's your life.  You will figure it out as you go I guess.

Cann!bal

Power member.
Condemner said:
Sorry but it seems to me like you're taking everything people say very defensively and reflecting everything.  Perhaps a bit uneasy with your choice? But it's your life.  You will figure it out as you go I guess.
"I'm glad to say I feel extremely liberated. Anxiety is a rarity to me and I'm learning something worthwhile about every single day. I'm a totally different and better person, and I can attribute the most of that to dropping out. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made and I will never regret it. It led me onto a pathway I would never thought imaginable."

It's really fucking funny how you think you know what's best for me.

Address the substance of my arguments rather than attack my character, you pussy faggot.

smalls

Power member.
Yo keep it 100%. 25252525252525

Condemner

Cann!bal said:
"I'm glad to say I feel extremely liberated. Anxiety is a rarity to me and I'm learning something worthwhile about every single day. I'm a totally different and better person, and I can attribute the most of that to dropping out. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made and I will never regret it. It led me onto a pathway I would never thought imaginable."

It's really fucking funny how you think you know what's best for me.

Address the substance of my arguments rather than attack my character, you pussy faggot.
Hahaha oh the irony...more reflecting.

Condemner

Ahhhh thank you for proving my point in my reputation.  You're way to young/immature to be making grown up decissions such as dropping out.  My advice would be for you to stop being a fucking bum and get your shit together.
Sorry I had to say it, everyone else on this thread was just beating around the bush. You will never go anywhere with your life by working part time and sitting on forums all day long. And also how is going to school becuase I make money pointless? You clearly have a very narrow perspective and I feel like school would really help you with that too. But do you I guess. You want to be a plumber? Enjoy working 12 hour days for $20/hr or what ever slave wages they make. You live minimalistic? Me to! I live in a 1 bedroom loft and drive a Honda accord. But I also cleared well over 6 figures last year. Know how many hours a day I work to earn that much? roughly 4-5 hours a day (it depends because I can choose when I work).

Sorry I had to unload, I just cant stand when someone chooses to live like a bum when we are in the 21st century, You have anxiety? Cool so does 100% of the population it's called being human, want to know a better cure than xanax for anxiety? Man the fuck up and grow a pair.

Cann!bal

Power member.
Condemner said:
Ahhhh thank you for proving my point in my reputation.  You're way to young/immature to be making grown up decissions such as dropping out.  My advice would be for you to stop being a fucking bum and get your shit together.
Get the fuck off my thread, you stupid fucking faggot. All you do is make personal attacks and offer nothing to the conversation.

GarrettM20

User is banned.
Too each their own. In my opinion having a diploma just makes it all easier. For example, I joined the Air Force at 18 and the minimum ASVAB score required was a 35 I believe, but if I was to have a GED the minimum would be 65. But then again that's when it all comes down to who you are talking to, like you Cannibal, you don't care about money and you live cheaply with a part time job and do fine but I myself am almost the opposite, but unlike a lot of these guys on the forums I see no reason to flame you. You're living your life the way you want to, and the rest of us are living the way we all want to. When I'm helping someone or someone helping me not once does it cross my mind to ask them "Hey are you a high school graduate?" or "Do you have a degree?" as long as you're a respectable person, you will be treated as such.