• Welcome to ForumKorner!
    Join today and become a part of the community.

help

Cupcake

Sweeter Than Ever
My windows laptop keeps over heating and randomly shutting down, is this the result of a fan issue????

Cupcake

Sweeter Than Ever
Emp said:
Have you tried opening it up where the fan is and seeing if there's any possible dust in it?

not yet, that sounds like a good plan, i will look into the fan :D x

Space Time

User is banned.
Overheating is normally because of the fan.
Clear the fan and your PC will work around 99% better.

Deany

Cupcake said:
not yet, that sounds like a good plan, i will look into the fan :D x
Look up some youtube tutorials on your computers model before doing it if you don't know what you're doing.

Rare

Open it up to your fan and get some compressed air and clean it out.

PrintLn

Onyx user!
If the shutting down is 100% due to the heating then most likely yes.

I'm going to make some guesses and say that it's an old(er) laptop with tons of crap on it.

As previously stated in the thread, it sounds like the fans have too much dust. A common symptom and easier identifier is the noise. Is your laptop extremely noisy from the fans? Does it almost sound like a jet? This is harder to clean on a laptop so if you decide to do this yourself then I HIGHLY recommend backing up all your important data (which should be done anyways). A can of compressed air or an electric air compressor such as this one. It was the first one I found so don't kill me if you find a better/cheaper one. And trust me, it's worth it to get an electric air compressor because those cans are expensive. Another tip if you decide to use compressed air, have a vacuum cleaner ready to suck up the dust, that stuff gets everywhere. If you have someone who can help, have them vacuum the dust right out of the air while it's floating down. Please do not vacuum your computer, the static discharge from the vacuum can and likely will destroy it.

How frequently does it shut off? If it is very frequently (every 5 minutes to an hour depending on usage), you might have the fans disabled or otherwise misconfigured in the BIOS (or UEFI). This is more unlikely but still possible, especially if you haven't used the laptop in a very long time.

One thing that may not be completely obvious but still contributes to unnecessary heat is unnecessary load. Do you have a ton of crap running in the background? Do you have stuff running that you aren't actually using? Even while individually this junk might not have much of an impact, enough of it will slow the machine down and cause thermal issues. Try turning off Bluetooth and unplugging stuff you're not using. For cleaning up software, take a look at these programs which do a very good job of dealing with the basic stuff.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/